#126 13 Feb 08 :: 20:10

seanlover1

Re: American Gun

he dont go with me  he is going to polland   im just going with he,s family  i just going there to have a lot of fun big_smile

#127 14 Feb 08 :: 07:33

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

Its an amazing movie and Chris gives a fantastic performance in it. You'll love it, Annie!!

#128 14 Feb 08 :: 07:33

seanlover1

yes i will smile

#129 03 Aug 08 :: 23:39

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

American Gun is coming on TV on the Movie Channel at 6:15 Eastern, just in case anyone wants to see it.  smile

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#130 04 Aug 08 :: 01:32

justme
Supreme Dorquette

http://www.tv-now.com/stars/cmarq.html

He'll be on a bunch the next couple of weeks.

#131 04 Aug 08 :: 02:06

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

WOW!  He sure will, won't he?

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#132 04 Aug 08 :: 09:20

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

Thanks for sharing, Carol. You rock!!

#133 04 Nov 08 :: 10:31

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

I finally saw this thanks to TeeJay and yeah, now I do suffer from DAVIDNEEDSAHUG-Syndrome...  I'm absolutely heartbroken for his storyline. I thought it was a good movie, a lot of good actors. And of course Chris did great! Nailed it. And I'm not suprised. He always seems to give 110%. big_smile

I was a bit nervous to be watching this. I don't know if you guys are awere that school shootings have become a reality here too. I have somehow taken them heavily even when I don't really have anything to do with them and houdreds of kilometers of space between me and those places. Oh well, there was some threats on a bathroom wall at my vocational college a while ago. Lots of empty threats all over the country. Lots kids gone crazy thinking there's something funny about it. Some have seemed to be serious about it too. Cops are getting better at tracking the threats now. Makes me feel more save..
I'm somehow both terrified and intrigued by all this. It's like watching a car crash, I want to look away but I want to know more.. So I didn't want to see this movie, and also wanted to see it. I'm clad I did. It made me a little blue but also gave more perspective. And I really did want to see Chris doing another great role. Thumbs up!

joa219crysig.jpg

#134 04 Nov 08 :: 13:00

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

I know what you mean. Another great piece of Chris's work. This is my #2 performance (after TTC).

I hugged the Seeker!

#135 04 Nov 08 :: 16:31

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

I hear ya, Maria.  I've always been both sickened by and somehow fascinated with the phenomenon of school shootings.  Nothing like that ever happened when I was a kid.  We didn't have to worry about gangs or guns or bullied kids with a grudge.  Mostly all we ever had was fist-fights.  Lots and lots of fist-fights.  I don't know how to explain rednecks to people from other countries, but they just like to pick fights and show off.  This massacre stuff is a whole different animal.

As for Chris's work in the film, yep, it's top notch.  He outshines everyone.  And most people come away saying that the David/Janet storyline was their favorite, the one that affected them the most.  It's just so powerful and heartbreaking.  Now, you have to see Stephanie Daley, which is sort of Amber's great, emotional roller-coaster ride film.  Having already seen JoA, once you've seen both of these movies, you have a real sense of what these two amazing young actors are capable of.  And why they're gonna be around for many, many, many years to come.

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#136 05 Nov 08 :: 06:14

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

Chris was beyond amazing in American Gun. Everything you said is soo true, Maria.

#137 09 Dec 08 :: 21:45

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

A review that singles out the Janet/David storyline...

Tuesday, December 9, 2008
American Gun

I watched American Gun after being impressed by Forest Whitaker in another ensemble drama called The Air I Breathe. Although American Gun held my interest, it was not nearly as good as the latter. Both stories follow several characters whose lives intersect at various points. However, the storyline is nearly as intricately interwoven in American Gun. Additionally, it appeared to me that the film provided different perspectives on the idea of gun ownership. In doing so, it seemed that the film took a position against guns without being particularly preachy about it. I would have panned this film if it had been overtly anti-gun. However, they managed to keep the film credible by keeping their sentiment within the confines of the script.

American Gun takes place nearly three years after a Columbine-type incident. The concept is conveyed through security camera footage showing children running from a classroom. Eventually we see a subject holding a rifle come into view of the camera. The movie follows the events surrounding this incident. The story shows the interaction of the shooter's mother Janet (Marcia Gay Harden), his brother David (Chris Marquette) and the first Police Officer on-scene the day of the incident, Frank (Tony Goldwyn). The three characters interact late in the movie as the film tracks their individual involvement in events memorializing the shooting victims. David seems to struggle, especially after learning that he can no longer attend his private school, meaning he will have to attend the school where the shooting occurred. His reluctance becomes softened after he meets Tally (Nikki Reed) who doesn't seem to judge him based on his relationship with the shooter. Tally ends up crossing paths with Frank late in the film into the rolling credits.

American Gun also follows two other stories that aren't very closely woven into the greater story. One interaction involves a Chicago school Principal named Carter (Forest Whitaker) who crusades against school violence and desires to promote change in his community. However, the dangers of getting to school and back simply make the students more creative. One student, Reggie (Kevin Phillips) has to cover some rough territory getting back and forth from school. He hides an unloaded firearm in a secret spot on the school grounds when he gets to school. The principal catches him one day and has to consider suspension. Reggie does not get his gun back and chooses not to get another one. Reggie also moonlights at a gas station in a bad part of town. The crack heads are rampant and the opportunity for violence is abundant. That violence manifests itself during the night shift after Reggie opts to travel unarmed. Several gunshots into his attendant's booth manage to miss him and he finishes his shift beneath the counter.

The final story involves a gun store owner, Carl Wilk (Donald Sutherland). Sutherland is another one of those actors that I love to watch. However, in this film they give him nothing to work with. The storyline involves the relationship between Wilk and his granddaughter Mary Ann (Linda Cardellini). It seems that Mary Ann doesn't care too much for the rural lifestyle and isn't really into guns. She doesn't show much affection to her grandfather who she has stopped calling "papa." The storyline was an unnecessary diversion that really didn't add anything to the film. In fact, it was boring at times. I did not understand how the characters were intended to add anything to the theme of the film, finding the entire set of characters to be distracting.

The writing (written by Bagatourian and Aric Avalino) wasn't entirely bad. There were elements to the film I liked. The characters were interesting and the writing created some excellent dramatic opportunities. They provided Harden and Marquette with some great dialogue and conflict which provided excellent value to the film. Yet the gun shop storyline failed to connect with the audience creating yawns if anything. The violence in the Chicago storyline was compelling and provided great opportunities for the writers to allow the characters to develop and interact, which they did adequately. What the writers give us amounts to two-thirds of excellent writing and one third of a script that amounts to crap. This film also fails in terms of being an examination of the American Gun Culture because it failed to deliver any positive messages. I was expecting the Gun Shop Owner to intervene in a rape or other violent crime and effectively become the hero…an opportunity to show the positive aspects of gun ownership. That was a pipe dream. Aside from that, the characters were interesting and the dialogue was sharp, especially the family exchanges. In essence, the writing was a mixed bag.

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#138 15 Apr 09 :: 04:08

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

From a Nikki Reed site.  Slightly different from what we have.

american_gun_stills_06.jpg

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#139 15 Apr 09 :: 18:56

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Where is the difference? I don't see it.

I hugged the Seeker!

#140 15 Apr 09 :: 20:59

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Yeah, whatever.  Way to go all CSI on me just to prove you were right.  You win a gold star.  Happy now?  roll

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#141 27 Jul 09 :: 00:49

taylor_27

I'm watching it right now and it's a really interesting story line, the aftermath of a tragedy. I really feel for David and his mom, I have this feeling that someone is going to get really hurt.

In David and his mom's case, what do you do, your broke and you have to go to the school where this horrid event took place, everyone knows, a lot of people blame you and your family, just a sucky situation to say the least.

In every tragedy people will always blame someone and try to hurt them and take out their aggression and hatred on them, in the end all it does is prolong feelings that need to be let go.

One thing everyone has in common in this movie is fear and guns are their safety blanket. With Linda Cardinelli(sp?), having her friend drugged and while trying to rescue her friend that asshole threw her agasint the wall and she felt so defenseless.

I hate that kids feel so terrified of walking home or going to their job that they have to protect themself with a gun, its sickening.

But I defnitely agree this is one of Chris' best performances!

#142 27 Jul 09 :: 01:18

taylor_27

Dang it I was right! As soon as Nikki said i'm going to go to the store first, I knew she was a gonner! Poor David, does the heartache ever end! Just when you thought his life was taking a turn for the better his potential girl gets freaking blown away! That was brutal.

#143 27 Jul 09 :: 01:19

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Are you finished with it yet?  It is an excellent little movie.  And I ache for David.

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#144 27 Jul 09 :: 06:49

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

I totally agree with all that you said, Rochelle, especially about the parts about Chris's character David.

#145 27 Jul 09 :: 09:01

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

And here's a shameless plug for my American Gun fan fiction that deals with more of David and the Tally tragedy: http://www.chris-marquette.com/graphics … esidue.htm

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#146 27 Jul 09 :: 23:07

taylor_27

Closure!!! Thank you for that.

#147 27 Jul 09 :: 23:18

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Hehe. You're welcome. Glad you liked it! smile

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."

#148 27 Jul 09 :: 23:31

taylor_27

I did, it was really good! I'm glad you included the room situation which I think is a major factor.

#149 27 Jul 09 :: 23:51

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

The room situation was actually Deb's idea, if I recall correctly.

-TeeJay

#150 28 Jul 09 :: 02:50

taylor_27

O ok, Shout out to Deb lol.
From ur fan fic do you think eventually he would get with Mouse since she was there comforting him?

Board footer