#26 29 Oct 06 :: 17:22

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Re: Alpha Dog (STRONG LANGUAGE & ADULT CONTENT)

I believe I still owe you the translation of the German AD review. So here it is. Oh, and there's also a new poster for the movie that I haven't seen yet (no Chris, alas):

bild.php?id=114215&fid=24491&type=g

Alpha Dog
Drama, Crime | USA 2006

Genre: Drama, Crime
Production Country: USA 2006

CAST & CREW

directed by: Nick Cassavetes
written by: Nick Cassavetes
music by: Aaron Zigman
cinematography by: Robert Fraisse
produced by: Sidney Kimmel, Chuck Pacheco, Matthew Barry
starring: Sharon Stone, Dominique Swain, Shawn Hatosy, Ben Foster, Emile Hirsch, Anton Yelchin, Paul Johansson, Justin Timberlake, Olivia Wilde, Fernando Vargas

STORY

Young Zack Mazursky has an older brother who refuses to pay back the $1000 debt to his dealer Johnny Truelove. Thus Truelove abducts young Zack, who quickly makes himself at home in the house of the grand scale dealer, takes pleasure in attending parties and doesn't voluntarily want to leave charismatic Johnny's entourage. Distracted by their high spirits, everyone forgets that abduction usually has grave consequences.

REVIEW

Nick Cassavetes' new movie premiered on this year's Sundance Festival, which plays an important role in the world of independent film, meaning movies produced outside the Hollywood studio system. But still, the action in Alpha Dog is taking place in Hollywood and the list of actors (Sharon Stone, Justin Timberlake, Bruce Willis und Ben Foster) could also appear in the credits of a production from the Californian city of movies.

The story is based on actual events. The once powerful drug dealer Jesse James Hollywood (in the movie he is called Johnny Truelove), who was one of the youngest men on the FBI's most wanted list, is currently being held in a jail cell, awaiting the verdict for the crime that Cassavetes' movie is about. When the production of Alpha Dog commenced in 2004, Jesse James Hollywood was still a free man, while some members of his posse had already been captured and given their statements. The FBI granted Cassavetes, who also wrote the script, excessive access to their files, apparently trying to raise the pressure upon the main suspect.

To underline the closeness to these events, Cassavetes felt the need to incorporate pseudo-documentary style material into his work—video sequences from the perspective of the characters and filmed interview logs. Later there are scenes where members of the Truelove clique testify in court. The movie moves along on multiple levels between reality and fiction, sells itself partly as a documentary style drama and uses court files as source material. This suspenseful basis is part of the ambitious goal to present this case the way "it really happened". The only problem here is that there are multiple scenes that aim to look authentic but don't make it clear that they are fictional and weren't meant to be a documentary.

These are insights into the extravagant life of the clique surrounding Truelove, who became rich through selling drugs and is leading a life in the lap of luxury. Everything seems to run its course, everything is larger than life, everything is just peachy, and if a junkie doesn't pay the bill, you can easily make him by resorting to means like coercion and abduction, the way you usually do in gangster circles. Why should that not work? This is the attitude of a man whose criminal career came to him easily; it is a different, nihilistic generation of felons, which differ in an elementary way from the Mafiosi in Coppola's and Scorsese's movies. Their motive is not to establish themselves in America, they are America. There is no family honor, no Christianity—there is no moral baggage that burdens the actions of people like Truelove; they are hedonistic offspring of the upper ten thousand, to whom everything comes easily in this country—drug dealing as a form of occupational therapy in a society where swimming pools and Bentleys don't offer any more relief for spreading boredom and depression.

It is the rebellion of teenagers that transforms them into drug dealers and thus integrates them through the back door into a society that needs them. But where Mafiosi from the past still had a sense of responsibility, the characters in Cassavetes' world behave like children who rip the wings from mosquitoes just to see what happens. They don't know about boundaries in their actions, but what may still weigh more heavily is that they don't know no failure, don't know guilt, don't know consequences or the price that has to be paid for certain things.

Such is the life in a world that is full of temptations, which the abducted Zack Mazursky also soon gives in to. He does not waste any thoughts on trying to escape the fangs of his abductors, because never in his life has he had so much fun. The boy has sex for the first time, with two women in a swimming pool, no less. The distance between victim and felon vanishes, Zack could easily go out to get cigarettes and run away, but he stays. Very early in the movie you get a feeling this will not end well; long before the characters themselves realize it. Cassavetes tells this story with considerable stylistic complexity, there are split screens, leaps in time, video sequences.

Alpha Dog wants to be a sociocritical analysis of the Californian upper class that portrays the purpose in life of its characters through changing perspectives of never-ending consumption: parties, sex, alcohol, hard drugs, cars, etc. Everything is available in abundance. In this adrenalized world, so Cassavetes' movie implies, people not only lose the connection to a sustainable socialization, they also, as a last consequence, lose all reason of their actions and all moral boundaries. This does not only show through the pleasure with which Zack succumbs to the role of abduction victim. The movie wants to accuse, but in all its complexity, it does not manage to claim a position to the events, you stay strangely disconnected. What remains is an incomprehensible shaking of your head and the unanswered question of how it could have come this far.

CONCLUSION

Multi-layered and suspenseful story about an inconceivable crime, told with a stylistic complexity, starring well-known actors. What is a little bothersome, however, is that the movie goes wrong in the assumption that you can believably reconstruct reality through complex storytelling structures and thus refrains from assuming its own point of view.

RATING

Total ranking: 3 out of 5 stars

Author: Guido Lukoschek

Source

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#27 29 Oct 06 :: 17:29

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

At least the new poster looks way better than the old one.

I hugged the Seeker!

#28 29 Oct 06 :: 18:46

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

I just uploaded a preliminary synopsis for Alpha Dog in the Filmography section. Anything you wanna add/edit about it? Deb, the translation of the article might need some polishing, I didn't give it a good beta read. Please send me your edit if you feel that it needs one (because I also used it in the synopsis). Thanks.

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."

#29 29 Oct 06 :: 20:21

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

A German guy named Guido?  Guess he knows what's he's talking about in terms of Mafioso.  There are a couple of awkrard sentences in the review that make it ovbious that it was not originally written in Englis.  I suppose I could edit the translation, but to be honest, I don't feel like fooling with it today.  Maybe later.  Maybe.

Deb

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#30 29 Oct 06 :: 20:25

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Well, Guido is a common name over here. And it doesn't have the same meaning here than it has in the US. Over here, Guido is just a name that doesn't signify anything... smile

If you like to give it an edit, that'd be great. Doesn't have to be today.

-TeeJay

#31 30 Oct 06 :: 21:04

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

I copied some more substantial stuff over from Melissa's board and put it into the first post of this thread. Go back there and re-read all the reviews that we already posted way back in the day. I think we started talking about this movie in January this year. Wow. Back then I still had the hope it might be coming to the screens in May, when I was in Atlanta for the AUA conference. Well.... looks like I'll have to watch the movie on DVD after all. Unless it comes to German screens without dubbing. Which might actually happen. Some time.

-TeeJay

#32 30 Oct 06 :: 22:41

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

From IMDb:

by coolandpalpable     3 hours ago (Mon Oct 30 2006 09:23:40 )
Just read that the attorneys officially filed suit against Universal on Friday, October 27, 2006 to block Alpha Dog from being released. Mr. Cassavetes (or anyone who knows), was this a "full-blown" lawsuit that will delay the release of Alpha Dog until the matter is resolved in the court?

by ema521 (= Nick Cassavetes)    30 minutes ago (Mon Oct 30 2006 12:08:22 )    
I haven't heard anything from Universal, but if I do...

Soooo.... another delay in the works? Well...... we're certainly not happy about that. At this rate, we're gonna get to see the movie by, oh, say, 2008? But let's see if this maybe blows over or was just a false alarm.

-TeeJay

#33 30 Oct 06 :: 22:51

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Oh oh. That sounds ... not good. neutral

I hugged the Seeker!

#34 30 Oct 06 :: 22:54

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Well, that sucks.  But there's time.  Maybe it'll fail.  Again.  And if Universal hasn't notified Nick yet, maybe it's because there's no merit to the suit and it will be summarily thrown out.  Just like it already has a few times over.

Deb

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#35 31 Oct 06 :: 03:48

shrams

Hey, if you don't want your life to be turned into a movie, don't commit a crime that gets that kind of attention.  Duh. roll

#36 31 Oct 06 :: 06:09

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Yeah man, I feel so sorry for the defense.  roll  They've got it rough competing with a fairly obscure indie movie.  It's just more stalling tactics on their part to get the trial pushed back more because they know Jesse is going down and they cannot change that.

Deb

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#37 31 Oct 06 :: 06:24

shrams

True, it's not like it's a huge Hollywood movie that's going to get tons of publicity.  I doubt enough of the potential jurors will have seen the movie to really mess up the trial.

#38 31 Oct 06 :: 06:49

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Exactly.  It's politics holding both art and commerce hostage.  And everyone connected with the case is sick of it.  Nick disappeared off the IMDb boards today when it was announced.  No one even bothered to tell him it seems.

Deb

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#39 03 Nov 06 :: 03:30

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Been meaning to post this for days.  This is Larry from the AD IMDb board's review of the film.  Incidentally, Larry and I are the same person to the idiot troll on that board.  Oh and we're also Nick Cassavetes.  And everything that anyone writes on that board that praises the film in any way is written by us/me/them, ummm, whatever.  It's very confusing.  Anyway, Larry was pretty blown away by the movie.  What I mainly take away from this review is that we may see Chris do some shocking things in the movie.  Larry says some of it is hard to watch, but it's ultimately powerful.  On the one hand, man I can't wait.  On the other, I'm a little nervous now.

TeeJay, it is remarkably completely spoiler-free...

An important film that is emotionally heart wrenching and devastating, 16 October 2006
10/10
Author: larry-411 from United States

I attended the World Premiere of "Alpha Dog" at the Sundance Film Festival. This is a tough review to write because I certainly don't want to spoil it. Someone said, "The film was amazing, heart wrenching towards the end, and very very well done," I agree with that 100%. Especially the heart wrenching description. I'll say this right now. Nothing, NOTHING prepares you for the climax of the film. And what's absolutely amazing is that, being based on a true story, we already know going in how it ends. Can you imagine what an amazing feat of film-making that is? To make a movie, where many KNOW the ending going in, and yet walk away feeling so emotionally devastated and drained that it's hard to talk about afterward?

I was blown away. Absolutely blown away. Even knowing all that I knew, the story, the actors, the characters, even knowing all that, the emotional wave that takes over and propels the film through its last act is just beyond any words. I can truly say that I will remember the ending of this film for the rest of my life. Throw away everything you THINK this film is about. Because it is not. I had absolutely no idea what was going to happen to me emotionally and I was absolutely devastated. This film MUST be seen.

My biggest fear is that people won't go to see this film because of preconceived notions about what it involves. The other is that they won't stay with it long enough to see the real story develop. In my opinion, this is not about drug dealers or white suburban kids acting tough or sex or drugs or a gang that lived lives of excessive behavior. This is not an R-rated Afterschool Special on the dangers of spoiled youth running wild. Or a bunch of kids who went bad. Yes, all these elements are there and play a part. But anyone who thinks that's the essence of the story, and doesn't give it a chance, will miss out on what I believe is one of the most moving and powerful sequences ever captured on film.

I'll tell you right now that I was not expecting this film to turn out the way it did. I don't want to give too much away, but director Nick Cassavetes has described it as an ensemble cast, and I agree somewhat. Nobody is really "the star" of the film. If we break it down into 3 acts, here is how I would describe it, if I absolutely had to answer that question.

ACT 1: Emile Hirsch -- the story centers on him, to some extent.

ACT 2: Justin Timberlake -- the story moves to his character. I was actually surprised at how his role begins to grow as Emile's "diminishes." Although remember, these are just very rough opinions on my part.

ACT 3: And THIS was the big surprise for me -- Anton Yelchin. At one point I actually heard myself saying in my head that he is the star of this movie, if there is one.

I could go on...Ben Foster, Shawn Hatosy, Chris Marquette, Sharon Stone, Amanda Seyfried, Dominique Swain, Olivia Wilde, Bruce Willis...I put them in alphabetical order because it wouldn't be fair to rank them. All turn in shockingly powerful performances. But the story is not about Emile's character. It's not about Justin's character. It is about Anton's character. That was the biggest surprise for me and I was not prepared for how emotional the film would get towards the end. As director Nick Cassavetes himself said in the Q&A after the screening, Anton is "the heart and soul of the film." Just a warning...it is very hard to watch in parts. The bottom line is this: the first act of the film sets the scene for what these guys' lives were like. The language, the violence, the drugs, the sex, they were all a part of their lifestyle and it is not sugarcoated. But more importantly, it is an assault on the senses because without it, the rest of the film -- and the emotional impact it has -- wouldn't be as believable. You have to experience how sick these guys' behavior was on a daily basis to appreciate and understand how sick were the actions they take later in the film. And it's the actions that they take later in the film that are at the heart of what the movie is about.

The first half of the film is hard to sit through. But the second half makes it all worth it. You cannot get the goose bumps and feel the emotions and the heartbreak of their crime without knowing how depraved these guys were. It is a film with one of those moments -- about halfway through the film, just when you think you know what it's about, just when maybe you're starting to wonder if it's really going to be worth watching, that feeling begins to come over you. That feeling that says, "ohhh wait a minute. NOW I see what's going on here." Then the tears start to well up as you begin to realize what this is really all about.

Once the real story starts to unfold, you forget about the language and the violence and the drugs and the sex. Because now you have entered their world, and the emotional impact of what comes later is just heart wrenching. This is one of those rare films that deserve the label "important." It is polarizing, to be sure. It's not everyone's cup of tea. But if you keep an open mind and are willing to suspend disbelief for a couple of hours (although, ironically, this is based on a true story) you will be moved, you will be affected, and you will be changed. "Alpha Dog" will do that, and that's a rare feat of film-making.

``````````````````
Larry, if you ever happen by here, thanks for sharing this review and taking the heat that you have.

Deb

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#40 03 Nov 06 :: 09:45

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Interesting review. From the parts I could understand it sounds very impressive and thrilling.

I hugged the Seeker!

#41 03 Nov 06 :: 10:40

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

From the trailers I've seen and the reviews I've read, I think I have a pretty good idea what this movie is gonna be like. And if it's what I think it's gonna be like, I know I'm gonna like it, Drastic-Chris or not. In fact, I think I'm even gonna enjoy a drastic Chris more than a normal Chris. Can't wait and I'm not at all nervous. Just fidgety because I wanna see it already!

Thanks for posting the review, Deb. Oh, excuse me, Larry. tongue

-TeeJay

#42 03 Nov 06 :: 11:04

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

The only thing that sucks is that I might have to watch it in German, because I don't think I'll understand much from the movie. LOL At least I can look forward to "Drastic Chris". Which I do, of course. See, that's the reason why I put that AD pic in my wallpaper. wink

I hugged the Seeker!

#43 03 Nov 06 :: 23:46

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

How to snap your foot off in a troll's ass:

Man, the troll on the AD board just went too far, so I felt the need to correct his stupid butt...

by sisterdebmac     3 hours ago (Fri Nov 3 2006 10:07:22 )     

UPDATED Fri Nov 3 2006 10:07:51 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, yay! Apparently I'm no longer the list of people who are Larry. Does that mean you finally checked out the site I directed you to and now you know I'm a real person who lives in Georgia and has nothing to do with the business or the movie? Cool. Thanks. 

Re: BEWARE! LARRY-411 THE STUDIO TROLL IS POSTING AS THEHARPSHAMEN!   

by InMemoryOfNickMarkowitz      1 hour ago (Fri Nov 3 2006 11:56:28 )  Ignore this User | Report Abuse 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
no i never said thet. i still think youre releated to larry or to justin because youre always 100% with larry n u write just like him n u say the same thing n u post at the same time n larrys fake user names also hype chris all the time. but i think thet chris full frontel nudity scenes will hurt his career with children dont u think. n how come chris is running away from alpha pig is also. i never here chris talk about it all just like justin never talked about alpha pig when he was on the leno show n kimmel show in october. no one wants to talk about alpha pig because they r ashamed thet they did all thet full frontel nudity when it had nothing to do with the real movie thet was supposed to be about the help less little jewish child who got killed because he was smoking to much weed n popping valium n drinking heavey n screwing a lot of girls n he couldnt pay attention to what was going on because he was in a drug haze. so why did every one under 30 in the movie accept justin who was shy have to do all this full frontel nudity. why is the studio troll dodging this question or why is the fake nick posts dodging this question. why did nick turn alpha pig in to a almost porn movie with every one gitting nakid like this so thet no one can go it unless their mommie goes with them. n who wants to go with mommie if every one is doing full frontel in the movie like emile n ben n shawn n chris n anton n amanda n heather n all of them thet are young. not the old stars like bruce or sharon. no one wants to see old fat asses. 

Re: BEWARE! LARRY-411 THE STUDIO TROLL IS POSTING AS THEHARPSHAMEN!   

by sisterdebmac     7 minutes ago (Fri Nov 3 2006 13:37:40 )     

UPDATED Fri Nov 3 2006 13:38:59 
-------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, I revoke any good will I might've felt toward you for half a second. How many times do I have to say I don't care about JT in the slightest? I really don't. How many times do I have to ask you to go see our website on Chris so you'll know I'm not Larry, but just a Georgia gal with a fansite?

And listen Mister, if you think you've been flamed before, you have no idea what will happen if you start spitting bile about Chris. You really know NOTHING about him. Not a gad-blessed thing. So shut your trap. He has talked about the movie quite a lot, for your information. He has talked about how making it was one of them most fascinating experiences of his acting career. He has talked about how much he admires and respects Nick as a director and how proud he is to have been part of the film. Not only have I read these quotes in many interviews which are posted on our site, I got them directly from HIS MOUTH on October 10, 2006 here in Atlanta when I interviewed him on the set of Revenge Of The Nerds for our website. Here is what he said about Nick, verbatim:

Deb:
We were wondering if you had someone you'd really like to work with that you haven't had a chance to work with yet.

Chris:
You know, there's one person I have had a chance to work with that I would work with forever for the rest of my life, like, only if I had the option, is Nick Cassavetes, the guy who did Alpha Dog. If I could just do his movies for the rest of my life, I'd be happy. Other than that, I don't know. He's the best actor's director I've ever worked with, by a long shot. So I don't know if there's other people. I haven't met anybody else out there. I mean, there's always people you have in mind, that's sort of your goal, and then you meet them or you hear stories and you work with them and it doesn't live up to the expectation.

Deb:
Well, it's not surprising that Nick is a great actor's director. His dad was.

Chris:
Yeah, yeah.

Deb:
And he was an actor himself for so long.

Chris:
Yeah, yeah, exactly.

~~~~~~~~~

And we don't just have a transcript of this. We have audio clips. Go listen if you don't believe me. Does that sound like someone who's trying to distance himslelf from Nick or the movie?

~~~~~~~~~

Here's more:

Deb:
I don't know how to say this. We're really excited about Alpha Dog, it looks like it's gonna be a great movie. But what's up with the wig?

Chris:
Oh, the wig! Oh yeah. They just wanted me greasy and dirty, like, where I was like this kid who had no hygiene, just didn't care. You know, so it was like, all right well obviously he hasn't cut his hair in a couple of months so...

Deb:
That must have been fun.

Chris:
It was awesome. It was unbelievable. It was like at first I did like slicking my hair back and then they looked at me and they were like, "Nah, too Guido." And I was like OK.

Tina:
Did you have short hair then?

Chris:
Yeah, I had short hair, yeah. Well, no not quite short. I was doing Joan Of Arcadia at the same time, so it was like toward the end when they let me start cutting my hair a little bit more (the end of season one). Um, so, it was a bit shorter, and then they put in extensions down to here (indicates past shoulder length). And it just looked weird. Like I just looked really weird, and it was like, "Nah, you kinda look like a girl."

(Laughter)

Chris:
So, it was like okay... So we thought about it. Then a couple of days before we started shooting, they said what are we gonna do? And I was like, I don't know. So they said, what about long hair down to here (indicates what it eventually came to look like). And I was just like, I was totally against it, you have no idea. I was just like, on the inside, "I can't do this. It's gonna be bad. It's gonna be terrible, I'm gonna look like crap in the movie. It'll be terrible." And then, for some reason, it totally worked. It was just amazing.

~~~~~~~~~~

So you just STFU about Chris right friggin' now, dude.

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#44 03 Nov 06 :: 23:59

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Dude, this guy should go back to high school and learn how to write right. My eyes hurt when I read that. roll

I hugged the Seeker!

#45 04 Nov 06 :: 00:05

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Doesn't he claim he's a film student? Or am I mixing that up? Glad he's not a writer, he couldn't sell shit with spelling like that. Maybe I'll drop by the IMDb boards, just to see this myself. I'll try not to butt in, though.

-TeeJay

#46 04 Nov 06 :: 00:06

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Ohhhhhhhhh pleeeeeeeeease butt in!!!!

We have to stand up for our boy!

Deb

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#47 04 Nov 06 :: 00:11

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

I would butt in too, if I could, but I fear my English knowledge is not good enough ... I mean, I know I'm pretty good at English, but I can't just go there and say: "Hey, go back to school and learn how to write right.", because I'm not perfect at English either.

I hugged the Seeker!

#48 04 Nov 06 :: 00:25

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Oh, dude, don't sell yourself short. You're not a native speaker and your English is WAAAAY better than his!

Don't feel like butting in today, though. Maybe tomorrow or on Sunday.

-TeeJay

#49 04 Nov 06 :: 00:29

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Thanks. smile
Ha, I know that my English is better than his. I at least know how to write it. big_smile

I hugged the Seeker!

#50 10 Nov 06 :: 18:36

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Larry posted some random thoughts about AD in September and someone was able to find that thread and bump it to the top.  You can find that post here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426883/boa … 8#54337798

Here's what he had to say about Chris:

About Chris Marquette:

Chris was also somewhat limited in his ability to go outside the lines of what the person he was portraying was all about. But he had the good fortune to have a turnabout similar to Justin's. Chris' character starts out somewhat on the outside of the story, but he becomes more involved as the film progresses. Again, I don't want to give anything away. But at one point he takes a turn that was a "whoa" moment for me. His range of acting ability does come out as his character does change, much as Justin's does.

Pretty cool.

Deb

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

Board footer