#1 21 Mar 07 :: 21:56

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

"... like without too much singing." ::: Our Music Thread

We don't have a music thread yet, do we?

Well, let me start with what Chris listens to (which doesn't make this thread off-topic anymore, but never mind).

Deb: What music are you into?

Chris: Uh, I've been listening to a lot of electronic music, actually. Uhm, like, without too much singing. Uh, that or... Who have I gotten into? Uhm, big TV On The Radio fan recently.

Okay, musically Chris and I are definitely not compatible, but that's beside the point.

What I actually meant to say (and this has a connection to The Invisible as well), I'm a lot into 30 Seconds To Mars right now. I've been listening to their current album, A Beautiful Lie, a lot. I bought their first album (titled 30 Seconds To Mars) yesterday, and after having listened to it three times now, I can say that I like that one even better than the current one. But they're both really good.

And for those that don't know, actor Jared Leto is the lead singer of this band. I only learned that fact after I've had the album for a while, though. And if you don't know who the heck Jared Leto is, have a look, maybe you'll recognize him:

6a00c225245de0604a00c225299e458e1d-320pi jared_leto5.jpg

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#2 21 Mar 07 :: 22:01

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Re: "... like without too much singing." ::: Our Music Thread

I know only a couple of songs but I like them a lot, too.

I hugged the Seeker!

#3 21 Mar 07 :: 22:28

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

I'm not "into" anything right now.  I'm in one of those weird moods where I'm sick of everything.  Except maybe for the Alpha Dog soundtrack.  But I can still only listen to that on my PC.  If I could listen to it in the car, I'd know all the words to Carbibou Lou, Enemy & I and Night & Day by now.  cool

Deb

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#4 21 Mar 07 :: 22:33

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Sisterdebmac wrote:

Carbibou Lou, Enemy & I

Hey, those are my favorites too!
Yeah, I hate it when I can't find the right music for my current mood. I have tons of music here, but sometimes it seems that nothing is right. roll
I was a lot into Joan Baez lately, mostly because I've seen her in concert recently, but that's kinda over now and I have to find something new.

I hugged the Seeker!

#5 21 Mar 07 :: 22:36

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Deb, you should listen to 30STM, I put the current album on one of the DVDs I sent. Have Joe put it on your MP3 player. I think you might like it too. Or give it a try at home. And ask Joe to put the AD soundtrack on your MP3 player, why don't you?

And now we all sing: "151 rum, pineapple juice and Malibu, Caribou, get them all numb. Make baby girl come out of her shell and raise hell, we go party till the cops come." (And, no, I'm not suggesting anyone actually do that!)

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."

#6 21 Mar 07 :: 22:59

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

TeeJay wrote:

And now we all sing: "151 rum, pineapple juice and Malibu, Caribou, get them all numb. Make baby girl come out of her shell and raise hell, we go party till the cops come." (And, no, I'm not suggesting anyone actually do that!)

Hahaha. Thank God that was just a joke, because otherwise I would have to warn you, my singing voice makes your toenails curl and your ears hurt ... so you better don't listen to it. LOL

I hugged the Seeker!

#7 21 Mar 07 :: 23:06

OhGnarly

My music interests are kind of eclectic - I'll pretty much listen to anything. I stay away from country though, since that music just bugs me.

Some of my favorite bands are Our Lady Peace, Death Cab, Matthew Good, Reel Big Fish, Sufjan Stevens, City & Colour, The Clash...the list goes on...

#8 21 Mar 07 :: 23:27

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

If you wanna see a really cool 13 minute version of the video for 30STM "From Yesterday", go here (I believe it's R-rated, though):

http://video.aol.com/video-search/From- … 3352846278

-TeeJay

#9 21 Mar 07 :: 23:31

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

I'll get Joe to do that as soon as he has time to breathe.  It's been really busy around here for him lately.  I've had to help him wityh some of his stuff just so he can stay caught up.

Deb

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#10 21 Mar 07 :: 23:37

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Yeah, you mentioned that Joe was real busy. Poor guy.

And is it just me, or has Jared Leto a certain striking something that I find attractive? I mean, I normally don't dig the punk look on anyone, but I just like the way it contrasts with his light blue eyes in this video. But never fear, Chris is still my favorite. Jared doesn't even have backup-guy potential. tongue

Jared1.jpg Jared2.jpg
Jared3.jpg Jared4.jpg
Jared5.jpg Jared6.jpg
Jared7.jpg Jared8.jpg
Jared9.jpg Jared10.jpg

-TeeJay

#11 21 Mar 07 :: 23:43

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

OhGnarly wrote:

Some of my favorite bands are Our Lady Peace, Death Cab, Matthew Good, Reel Big Fish, Sufjan Stevens, City & Colour, The Clash...the list goes on...

I only know Our Lady Peace of those you listed. I have some of their songs as MP3s, and they're cool. But I've never listened to a whole album.

I'm a rock chick myself. Through and through. Among my favorites are 3 Doors Down, Nickelback, Linkin Park, Alanis Morissette, Evanescence or Hoobastank (sorry, Deb). But I listen to other stuff too. Anna Nalick, Tracy Chapman, K's Choice, Jem, Dispatch, Matchbox Twenty, Third Eye Blind, Vertical Horizon and also unusual stuff like Scottish and Irish Folk. Anyone know Capercaillie? I love them!

And, YAY! New Linkin Park album on May 11 (in Germany)!!! (Called "Minutes To Midnight") Can't wait. Didn't even know they were working on a new one, but it's about time!

-TeeJay

#12 21 Mar 07 :: 23:48

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Well, you introduced me to them, so I know them too. LOL
Hey it's funny that you mention Tracy Chapman, I just listened to some of her music earlier today. I didn't listen to her for ages and I just felt like I could need a Tracy fix. LOL

I hugged the Seeker!

#13 21 Mar 07 :: 23:54

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

He looks more goth than punk, especially in the one with the white shirt.  That one is a little too Marilyn Manson for my taste though.

Deb

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#14 21 Mar 07 :: 23:56

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

He kinda looks like a Zombie to me. LOL Definitely not my type. He never was, actually. Besides, I already have a backup guy. big_smile

I hugged the Seeker!

#15 21 Mar 07 :: 23:58

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

I still need a back-up guy.  hmm

Deb

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#16 22 Mar 07 :: 00:06

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

You need to choose one! wink

I hugged the Seeker!

#17 22 Mar 07 :: 00:09

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Yeah, well, my backup guy is way more handsome that Mr. Leto. And, yeah, Deb, you need to get a backup guy. What about Scotty G.?

-TeeJay

#18 22 Mar 07 :: 02:41

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Yeah, Scotty's awesome and I feel certain that if I'd gotten to see him in concert in Nashville last year, or if he'd played opposite Chris in that amazing ER ep that Shawn Hatosy did, I probably would've fallen back in love with him as hardcore as I was all those years ago.  I still adore the guy.  I always will.  I just listened to his CD at work a couple of days ago.  But with him, I don't feel the kind of passion one should for a serious crush or a back-up guy.  I just don't feel that for anybody right now.

Ha, it's funny, I was just thinking about the people I've been "obsessed" with over the course of my years and I've been lucky enough to meet a bunch of them.  These are all people I've collected memorabilia on --- most of it the hard way, before the Internet.  I still love all of these people.  The date range represents the years I was really hardcore into them... 

Robby Benson: 1976-1980 - met him in 1990
Peter Frampton: 1978-1986 - met him in 1996
Malcolm McDowell & Mary Steenburgen: 1980-1990 - never met him, but met her in 1983
Alan Parsons: 1980-present - met him in 1999
Robin Johnson: 1980-present - never met her
Jane Elliot & Jerry verDorn: 1981-1983 - never met him but he answered fan mail in 1982, met her in 1983
Pamela Segall: 1983-present - never met her but she answered fan mail in 1983
Nik Kershaw: 1983-present - never met him
Roddy McDowall: 1985-1990 - never met him
The Alarm: 1986-1992 - never met them
Scott Grimes: 1987-present - haven't met him yet
Indigo Girls: 1987-2003 - met them first in 1988, have spoken to them a few times since
Kristen Hall: 1990-present - shared a plate of nachos with her in 1991
Don Dixon & Marti Jones: 1987-present - met them in 1991 & him again in 1999
Lori Petty: 1992-2003 - never met her
Matthew Fox: 1993-1999 - never met him
Gillian Anderson & David Duchovny: 1995-2002 - never met them
Amber Benson & Alyson Hannigan: 2000-2004 - met Amber in 2002
Haley Joel Osment: 1999-2004 - never met him, but worked for his official website
Chris Marquette: 2004-forever - met him in 2006 & 2007

Interestingly, I've been to Los Angeles 5 times and I met all of these people right here in Atlanta, except Jane Elliot in Charlotte, North Carolina, Robby Benson in Las Vegas and Amber Benson in Birmingham, Alabama.

Deb

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#19 22 Mar 07 :: 05:13

R2Roswell

Found out the song for graduation.  It's "It Ends Tonight" by The All American Rejects.  Don't know who they are but I listened to the song and it's good and fitting.

I'm making a graduation cd as a gift for my friends.  Anyone got any suggestions as to song choice?

#20 22 Mar 07 :: 05:39

Susanna
Cute lil' horndog

My music tastes aren't actually something you can describe very well. But right now I've been listening to a lot of Lily Allen, Muse, Taking Back Sunday, Fall Out Boy, The Decemberists... Uhm, I just bought Total Eclipse of the heart from iTunes, I'm such a sucker for that song, I have both Westlife & Bonnie Tyler singing it. lol

OhGnarly - I love Death Cab too.

tesig1.jpg

#21 22 Mar 07 :: 06:17

OhGnarly

I've never been much of a Fall Out Boy fan, but I have a friend who says they're new album is quite good. I generally stay away from radio music.

I love Muse and the Decemberists though!

#22 22 Mar 07 :: 06:23

OhGnarly

TeeJay wrote:

I only know Our Lady Peace of those you listed. I have some of their songs as MP3s, and they're cool. But I've never listened to a whole album.

I'm a huge fan of the older OLP albums, even though I was introduced to them when their CD "Gravity" was released. I really love their newest album as well, it's a new sound for them. The other bands I listed may not have been as well known. Lots of my favorite bands/performers are Canadian. My best friend is a huge music buff from Vancouver and he's constantly sending me music.

I still love Linkin Park. I was a huge fan throughout junior high and every once in awhile I'll pop in one of their CDs big_smile. I'm sure I'll get the new one when it's released as well.

#23 22 Mar 07 :: 06:26

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Susanna said:

Uhm, I just bought Total Eclipse of the heart from iTunes, I'm such a sucker for that song, I have both Westlife & Bonnie Tyler singing it.

Very cool song.  Written by Jim Steinman, who wrote all of Meatloaf's stuff.  You can tell a Jim Steinman song by his heavymetal piano and too many lyrics crammed together in too small a space. Also, very operatic arrangements.  Now, think of any Meatloaf song and tell me that description doesn't apply.  I love Steinman's stuff.  My favorite thing he ever did was write a couple of really astonishing songs for the movie Streets Of Fire --- Nowhere Fast and Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young.  Just really incredible stuff.  I always wished he'd hook up with a great storyteller and create a some big, gothic Broadway musical.

Deb

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#24 22 Mar 07 :: 17:15

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Sisterdebmac wrote:

Haley Joel Osment: 1999-2004 - never met him, but worked for his official website

And I was thinking about suggesting him as your backup guy! LOL

Yeah, I think I also have a pretty long list of former crushes. But I won't tell you. Haha. big_smile

I hugged the Seeker!

#25 22 Mar 07 :: 18:16

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Haley wasn't exactly a crush, nor is he back-up guy material.  FAR too young.  With him, I was just really into his acting, not his looks.  There's a lot of guys I like these days, but not enough that I really seek their stuff out.  I'm wracking my brain over this and I just can't come up with a single candidate for the position of Deb's Back-up Guy.  Qualifications: great actor or musician, extensively easy on the eyes, sweet/funny/charming.

Deb

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

Board footer