#1 05 Jun 07 :: 23:30

irina

mysterious skin

i did not see a topic on this movie. if it is i am soory :grovel:
i saw this movie a couple of months ago and it had a huge impact on me. a lot like alpha dog. it made me think a lot. and i made my mom watch it too.
i never knew joseph gordon levitt is such a good actor. he blew me away. and also the kid that plays him as a young boy is astonishing.
it is such a sad , disturbing movie. the subject of pedophilya is very hard to talk about. and to make a movie about it is even harder. but the director of this movie, of whom i never heard before, does a great job.
the actions in the movie, the acting and the ideea that this happens in real life haunted me after the movie ended.

#2 06 Jun 07 :: 00:47

OhGnarly

Re: mysterious skin

Mysterious Skin is another one of my all-time favorite movies. It's also one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen, but I think it was an important topic to cover. It's not for everyone, though. I think a lot of people would take serious offense with the subject matter. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is absolutely fantastic in it, proving to me that he is worth all of the critical acclaim that he's been given. He's an actor who knows how to pick his projects. And I agree, Gregg Araki, the director, was also outstanding.

Actually, when I walked out of the theaters after seeing Alpha Dog, I was reminded of how I felt at the end of Mysterious Skin. I had that sort of sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and couldn't stop thinking about it for a long time afterwards. And that still happens when I rewatch it.

Irina, it seems we have a similar taste in movies!

#3 06 Jun 07 :: 01:25

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

I loved Mysterious Skin too.  JGL is one of my very favorite young actors working today.  Did you guys see Brick?  LOVED that movie!  I don't see Mysterious Skin as being about pedophilia though.  The characters were not children.  It's about a teen hustler.  Huge difference.  There have been several excellent movies on the subject, but this one's probably the most fascinating and ultimately disturbing.  Although Johns with Lukas Haas and David Arquette tore me up pretty good.  Another one to check out is Star Maps with beautiful Douglas Spain.

And of course if you see Mysterious Skin, you get the extra special bonus of Jeff Licon, looking and acting VERY different from Goth God!

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#4 06 Jun 07 :: 01:37

irina

brenna, how strange , but yes , that's why i remembered mysterious skin now, because of the way aplha dog made me feel.
i can not understand how someone could be offended by this film. i mean i can understand that it can be hard to watch, but offended???
i do think that the film is about pedophilia, because that's what scars the 2 kids for life. the way one become a prostitute and the other one is almost asexual is a result of what happened to them as kids.
and again also in this movie we see the parents. they are not bad parents, just not too concerned parents.
and the result can be desastrous.

deb, i actually just last night got " brick " but i did not managed to see it yet. now i feel an extra push to see it.

#5 06 Jun 07 :: 01:52

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Well, OK, I guess there was that aspect in the backstory of the kids.  I was just thinking more about the "present day" aspect of the story.  But you're right.

Brick might be a little tough for you in terms of the dialog because it's almost all this slang that they totally made up for the movie.  It took me about half an hour to get used to it the first time I saw it.  But if you can get acclimated to it, you'll be fine.

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

Board footer