#26 24 Aug 08 :: 18:14

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Re: Thru The Moebius Strip

I watched the DVD today, so let me post a few thoughts. First of all, there is nothing on the DVD but the movie and trailers for other movies. In other words: No special features at all.

The movie has an Age 6 rating in the Netherlands, which pretty much says it is a film as much for kids as it is for adults. The story isn't all that original, I felt like I had seen this before in one way or another. It was also pretty predictable. Kinda like the essence of Lord of the Rings, Braveheart, Narnia and Last Samurai rolled into one CGI movie with alien characters. I liked the look of the movie, but I've seen much better CGI films. The movements of the characters felt a little choppy and very computer game-like.

The dubbing seemed fine, the voices fit the characters, especially Michael Dorn's deep, sonorous voice for the villain. I had a bit of a hard time getting over Chris as Jac's voice, though. What I mean is that I kept seeing Chris in a recording studio, speaking this character, instead of just enjoying the character and his adventures on the screen. Happened to me with Michael Dorn too sometimes. Guess that's the downside of knowing what these actors look like in person and knowing how animated movies are dubbed.

Now, while this all sounds like I didn't like the movie at all, that's actually not the case. I did enjoy it, the story was well told and entertaining. Well worth watching if you like that kind of movie. But it's not a movie I would watch over and over again. If you like animation movies, I don't think you're gonna be disappointed. But since the DVD is only available in the Netherlands for now, I guess I'm gonna remain one of the few of us who are going to see it in the first place. I don't get why they can't find anyone in the US to release it. I'm sure enough people would buy it.

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#27 24 Aug 08 :: 19:02

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

I look forward to see that.

I hugged the Seeker!

#28 24 Aug 08 :: 19:28

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Yeah, I'd still like to see it too.  Do you know what year the dubbing was done?

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#29 24 Aug 08 :: 19:55

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

I think 2005. Deb, I posted your DVDs today. smile

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."

#30 24 Aug 08 :: 19:56

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Cool.  Thanks.  So he managed to sound like a kid even though his voice very deep by then?

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#31 24 Aug 08 :: 20:01

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

He sounded undoubtedly like Chris, and his voice was deeper than his kid's voice, but it was still kid-like enough to pull off a 14-year-old. He did well.

-TeeJay

#32 24 Aug 08 :: 20:17

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Here's a sample from the movie with Jac and his mom. Another boy troubled by family tragedy... <sigh> I think if anything, Chris sounds the way he sounded in The Girl Next Door.

http://www.chris-marquette.com/media/vi … ius_01.wmv

-TeeJay

#33 24 Aug 08 :: 21:16

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

It was very quiet, but I just watched it and I think I am with you, he sounds kinda like Eli.

I hugged the Seeker!

#34 24 Aug 08 :: 21:29

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

The sound was low for me too.  And he definitely sounds more like Eli than anything else.  Are you sure he didn't do this in 2003 instead of 2005?

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#35 24 Aug 08 :: 21:39

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

IMDb says 2005. But that could be the date of first release. I don't really know where to look up when it was dubbed. And you know that asking Chris is useless because his time memory is totally out of sync. wink

-TeeJay

#36 24 Aug 08 :: 21:51

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

I found an article that says the movie was going to screen in Cannes in May 2004. So the movie had already been dubbed by then. Probably in 2003 or early 2004.

-TeeJay

#37 24 Aug 08 :: 21:54

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Stuff like that goes to Cannes? hmm

I hugged the Seeker!

#38 25 Aug 08 :: 04:40

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

I wish that movie was released on DVD in the U.S. I want to see it.

#39 26 Sep 08 :: 19:07

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

I just finished watching it. Cute little animated movie. I quite enjoyed it. Chris's voice job made me laugh sometimes. wink

I hugged the Seeker!

Board footer