#1 29 Jul 07 :: 23:12

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Fan Fic Challenge

ButterfliesChallenge.jpg

Write the next chapter of TeeJay & Deb's "Butterflies" (with or without smut, up to you). In the last chapter, "Trials", Joan and Adam tried to help Grace deal with her mother's resurgent alcoholism. It's February now, two months before Adam & Joan's wedding. Helen is working on planning it and Joan and Adam are starting to have to make decisions about various details. Work has been stressful. Over dinner with Grace and Karen one night, the four of them decide that they should all go away for a long weekend since Valentine's Day is on Monday. Grace is a little reluctant to double date on Valentine's weekend, but she agrees...

You have until next Sunday at 3 pm Eastern time to complete the chapter. Please make it at least 5 pages long and please e-mail us the results (preferably as a Word file).

Ready. Set. Go!

Deb & TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#2 30 Jul 07 :: 02:13

magicalturkey
Website

Re: Fan Fic Challenge

I write waaay too fast.  Probably too fast for my own good...

LifeSucks.jpg

#3 30 Jul 07 :: 02:46

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

OMG!  It's really cute and I love the smut.  :drool:

I don't know how anyone's gonna beat you at this.  I emailed it to TeeJay so she'll have something to make her smile in the morning.  I'm sure she'll let you know what she thinks.  tongue

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#4 30 Jul 07 :: 03:18

magicalturkey
Website

Thanks.   I hope TeeJay likes it as much as you do.

And you guys see Karen as Sara Gilbert?  Can I just say that I love that, even though I had a really hard time not morphing Karen into Darlene from Roseanne.

LifeSucks.jpg

#5 30 Jul 07 :: 03:24

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

That was TeeJay who saw SG as Karen.  She likes her as Jane on ER.  I'm cool with it since I've been a fan since the first ep of Roseanne and I grew up watching her sister Melissa on TV.

Just one question:  What did Grace and Adam buy for Karen and Joan?  Hmmmmmm?  wink

Can I feel a sequel coming on?  Go ahead and do titles and author's notes if you feel like it.  Put it all in an Open Office doc.

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#6 30 Jul 07 :: 03:30

magicalturkey
Website

Adam bought Joan the teddy bear he gave her near the end.  Grace... bought a pack of gum, I don't really know I didn't give it much thought.  She might have bought a teddy bear too, only one in leather.

If you want me to write something else eventually I will, but I'd really like to see you guys back.  I'll get started on all that right now.

LifeSucks.jpg

#7 30 Jul 07 :: 03:42

magicalturkey
Website

This is probably a really stupid question, but do you want me to save the chapter with the author note and everything?

LifeSucks.jpg

#8 30 Jul 07 :: 03:49

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Oh yeah, the teddy bear, duh.  Guess I was way too focused on Joan's gift to him.  tongue

Copy the format of our Author's note and just change it.  Is that what you meant?  Email it to me again.

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#9 30 Jul 07 :: 05:01

herrommance
Website

unfair to me. haha

"Nobody calls Han Solo a dirtbag!"

#10 30 Jul 07 :: 05:11

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Well, then, we'll just have to do it again sometime later on, so you can get in on it, Paige.

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#11 30 Jul 07 :: 05:13

magicalturkey
Website

herrommance wrote:

unfair to me

Sorry :embarrassed:

LifeSucks.jpg

#12 30 Jul 07 :: 05:14

herrommance
Website

lol yeah that is ok. I am sure yours would probably be alot better than mine anyway. haha

#13 30 Jul 07 :: 05:28

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Well, we haven't seen any examples of your ficcing skills yet, Paige so who can judge?  But it it's definitely good stuff.  One might say *hot* stuff.  But there is also a smut-free version.  You'll wanna read all of Laura's fics too when you get caught up on the Joaniverse.

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#14 30 Jul 07 :: 12:54

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

magicalturkey wrote:

Thanks. I hope TeeJay likes it as much as you do.

She did. Great job! Loved it! I'd like to play with it a little if I may. You know, add a few things, expand some of it.

As to Sara Gilbert, I don't know where it came from. I always pictured Karen with shoulder length, curly, brown hair. When I thought about which actress might resemble her, the image of medical student Jane Figler from ER suddenly popped into my head. And thus we had cast Karen. smile

And can I just say that I thought the teddy was a little cheesy? Come on, Adam should have more of an imagination than that. At least he should have bought her a soft toy that's a little more special. Like a koala or something. He could have bought a hat with it, so that she'll get over her fear of koala bears in hats. tongue

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."

#15 30 Jul 07 :: 13:57

herrommance
Website

Sisterdebmac wrote:

Well, we haven't seen any examples of your ficcing skills yet, Paige so who can judge?  But it it's definitely good stuff.  One might say *hot* stuff.  But there is also a smut-free version.  You'll wanna read all of Laura's fics too when you get caught up on the Joaniverse.

Well I suppose I will just have to show you guys sometime. Yeah I have my own share of *hot* stuff. I probably shouldnt be writting, but ...yeah

#16 30 Jul 07 :: 14:06

magicalturkey
Website

TeeJay wrote:

I'd like to play with it a little if I may. You know, add a few things, expand some of it.

Sure, go ahead.

I know the teddy bear was cheesy, but once Joan and Karen picked their gifts Adam and Grace got something really quickly.  Plus... I couldn't think of anything else.

Sisterdebmac wrote:

You'll wanna read all of Laura's fics too when you get caught up on the Joaniverse.

O...k.  Again, big undertaking seeing as I don't know when Paige is gonna get the DVDs and get caught up on everything I'll most likely have over 100 JoA fics (I already have 96).

Can I just say it totally freaks me out that I have a little following in here for a writing journal no one knew about three months ago?   I don't know why but I've always been stuck in the phase where I can't understand why people actually like my writing... it gets on my friends nerves.

Last edited by magicalturkey (30 Jul 07 :: 14:59)

LifeSucks.jpg

#17 30 Jul 07 :: 15:02

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Would you mind if we changed the teddy bear to something else? Maybe we shook hook up in chat next weekend and talk about details. You have Yahoo Messenger too, right? What time zone are you in?

You really don't understand why people like your writing? It's heartfelt and honest and you just really love those characters, just like we do. Your stories take our minds places and move us. What's more beautiful than being able to do that?

And what gets on your friends' nerves? That you write stories or that you talk about them and want them to understand? It's mixed with my friends. Some really admire me for being able to write stories (more so since it's not my native language that I usually write in), some find it cool that I write but don't get that I wanna write about TV characters and some just find it silly. But, hey, they don't have to read them. And as long as I find pleasure and fun in writing, I'm not gonna stop doing it.

And it doesn't have to freak you out that you have your own thread. We're all in the same boat. We all love these characters and most of us here can understand why you can't stop writing about them.

-TeeJay

#18 30 Jul 07 :: 15:18

magicalturkey
Website

I'm in Eastern Standard Time, I do have Yahoo my name's in my profile.  Next weekend actually doesn't work for me... I'm going away for a couple weeks on the 7th and need to get ready next weekend. sad

You can change the teddy bear to something else, I just had a failure of imagination when I was writing that... just wanted to get it out of the way and onto the smut.

I really don't know what my issue with my writing is... I guess it has to do with low self esteem.   What bugs my friends is me saying that I can't write sometimes, they read my stuff as long as they follow along on whatever I write about.   They'll read something I wrote, then talk to me about it in school and I'd freak out.

LifeSucks.jpg

#19 30 Jul 07 :: 15:59

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Since I'm the odd one out here (time zone-wise), maybe you and Deb can hook up for a YM chat some night this week to talk about details, seeing how you're in the same time zone. I'll relay all my comments and Deb and she'll know how to communicate them. Would that work? We can also do all this via e-mail.

I think I'd slightly freak if someone I didn't know closely was talking about me writing smut. But otherwise I'd be totally flattered if people told me they liked what I write enough to want to read it.

-TeeJay

#20 30 Jul 07 :: 16:00

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

You know, it took me a long time to get over being self-conscious once I started sharing my work, all those years ago.  And when I started writing fan fic, it was REALLY difficult to read reviews and not feel embarrassed.  Luckily, most of my feedback has been good, so I'm totally used to it now.  Doesn't bother me at all.  You'll get there.

TeeJay sent me a fleshing out of your chapter.  I'll read it and will polish it as soon as I can.  That's usually how we work.  We edit each other's stuff.  If we hit a snag, we talk it out until we get it right.  Most of the time though, it works out fine just sending edits back and forth.  So once I do a polish, I'll send it back to you.  Now, just because we've edited it, doesn't mean it's set in stone.  When you get it back, if you're inspired to noodle around with it some more, do it.  We'll bounce it around until we're all thrilled with it.

And hey, I totally know what you mean about wanting to get past the boring stuff and on to the smut!  Woohoo!

big_smile

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#21 30 Jul 07 :: 16:10

magicalturkey
Website

It'll probably be easiest for all of us to do it through email.   That way we don't need to break everything up on instant messenger and can just email the whole thing back and forth.  Plus, I'm not that reliable on IM, expessially not Yahoo... I forget to log on all the time then when I do I always get distracted by something shiny in the middle of a conversation.

LifeSucks.jpg

#22 30 Jul 07 :: 16:25

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

when I do I always get distracted by something shiny in the middle of a conversation.

LOL!  You sound just like my friend Steph.  lol

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#23 30 Jul 07 :: 17:42

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Sarah Gilbert as Karen, interesting choice. I like it.

And hey, it's kinda unfair to me too since I can't participate because my English is not good enough to write fanfiction. I could write something in German but then Tina would have to translate it into English and that would cost too much time and would complicate everything. So I won't participate. Maybe I am going to try to finish my fanfictions. I have two in the works.

I hugged the Seeker!

#24 30 Jul 07 :: 20:10

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Just to keep you in the loop, Laura, TeeJay and I have both done a poilsh of your chapter and we're discussing expanding the weekend away just a little bit.  Don't worry, it won't be unrecognizable from what you initially wrote.  Just longer.  smile

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#25 30 Jul 07 :: 20:13

magicalturkey
Website

That's fine, just as long as it's still mainly what I started with.

LifeSucks.jpg

Board footer