#1 22 Aug 07 :: 09:31

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

The Magic Door - by TeeJay

Okay, so I wrote this short snippet, but I don't feel like officially posting it on FFN, so I'm just gonna post it here. Just recently in the JoA section we talked about Ryan and a possible season three and how that may have been Adam's chance to redeem himself. Well, take a peek at how that might have come about. It's my attempt at writing something short and out of context for a change. (Deb, this is not the prequel thing I was talking about.)

It's this image I had in my mind when the idea came to me (but my scene would take place somewhere towards the middle of non-existent season three). The screencap is from 2x22 Something Wicked This Way Comes, when Adam tells Joan he got the internship Ryan offered him at the paper.

JoA_2x22_025.jpg

The Magic Door
by TeeJay

Adam hadn't so much as honestly looked at a girl ever since mock trial. Every time he did subconsciously ogle a member of the female species, it only took him a few seconds to realize what he was doing. And eventually, his mind would wander to her—Jane. And with her, inevitably, came those feelings of guilt and regret and shame.

Some days he didn't think of her much at all, some days he missed her so much that he thought he could hardly breathe. Some days she would seek him out at night, in bed, when she wouldn't let him fall asleep. It was then that he hated himself most. Was this ever going to go away?

They had said time would fix it. Really? When would the healing begin?

But today was different. Today he didn't only feel guilty and self-conscious, he felt stupid too. She had been right all along, and he had refused to believe it.

He crossed the yard to where Grace, Luke, Friedman, Glynis and Joan were sitting, engrossed in conversation. They had been doing that a lot lately, hanging out together, talking about things in hushed voices. And Adam had never been included. He felt like an outsider to a secret club somehow. And maybe he deserved it, he thought.

As he drew closer, Joan looked up, a mixture of skepticism and doubt in her eyes, maybe quiet resentment mixed in somewhere too.

He stood before her, quietly asking, "Can we talk?"

She exchanged a quick look with Grace, who shrugged almost imperceptibly.

Joan made a movement to get up from where she was sitting on a low stone wall. "Okay."

They walked a few steps in silence until they were out of earshot of the others. Adam stopped and looked at her, trying to find the right words. He opened his mouth, then closed it again. She was looking at him the whole time, waiting.

He was just about to speak, when she interjected. "If this is gonna be another apology, you know, I think—"

"No," he said quickly. "No, not an apology."

Her gaze pierced him more intensely than before.

"I quit the internship today."

Her mouth suddenly hung slightly agape. "What?" she whispered.

"I quit the internship," he repeated, more confident.

Her eyes narrowed once. "Why?"

"Because Ryan's... I don't know. He's creepy. I overheard something and it took me a while to piece it together, but something's not right. There's something going on, something that's not good. And... and then I remembered what you told me about him, and then I guess I realized that I don't wanna be a part of it—whatever 'it' is."

He didn't know what hit him when she was suddenly hugging him. Her arms around his waist, it felt so familiar, yet he stood rooted to the ground, immobile for a moment until he found the sense to carefully return the hug.

She pulled back quickly with a big smile on her face and he couldn't help but smile himself. "Where did that come from?"

She cocked her head to one side and just said, "That is the smartest decision you've made all year."

They stood for a few, indecisive moments before she asked in a low voice, "So... are you looking for another job? You know, with your dad and all..."

He looked to the floor, studying his feet. She still knew him well. "I'll figure something out," he mumbled.

"I'll help."

That surprised him. "Why?"

"Because I want to, Silly." The encouraging, open smile she gave him nearly made his knees buckle. She suddenly seemed so different.

It was at the tip of his tongue to repeat his question, because he couldn't figure out why she might want to, but at the last second he stopped himself. Some things should just be taken at face value.

"Thanks," was all he could say.

She was suddenly taking his hand and he felt her tugging at it in the direction of the rest of the group they had left behind. "Adam," she prompted him to look at her. "There's no reason to be all mopey. You did well today. Come on, let's tell the others."

"Why, what's going on?" What magic door had he suddenly opened that he was invited to the club?

She just smiled mischievously and said, "You'll see."

THE END.

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#2 22 Aug 07 :: 16:44

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Re: The Magic Door - by TeeJay

Cooooooo-uuuuuul!  big_smile

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#3 22 Aug 07 :: 16:50

magicalturkey
Website

I love it... for some reason I got a flash of Grace's reaction after hearing that he quit his job, the exact opposite of Joan's.

LifeSucks.jpg

#4 22 Aug 07 :: 17:02

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Write it!

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#5 22 Aug 07 :: 17:24

magicalturkey
Website

Ok, but this is your fault, Deb.   So here's my little untitled drabble to add to it...

"Ok, what's the big news?" Grace asked, half expecting to hear they'd made up and the moping was finally over.

"Adam quit his job," Joan told her and the rest of the group excitedly. 

Everyone went silent as they stared at Adam and Joan, all agape, failing to see how it was good news that Adam and his father would now have no income.   Luke noticed Adam seemed rather happy about it.

"I thought you liked the job at the paper?" he asked.

"I do," Adam said quickly.  "I mean, I did.   Things just weren't working out."

"So you quit?" Grace asked.  "Dude, you're a world class idiot."

Adam shrugged simply and sat next to her on the steps.  "It's better this way, trust me."

"How is starving better?" Friedman asked.   Four hands collided with his head at once.

LifeSucks.jpg

#6 22 Aug 07 :: 18:20

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Love it, Tina. And yours is also great, Laura.

I hugged the Seeker!

#7 22 Aug 07 :: 18:23

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

As Friedman ducked and held his arms up to shield his head and everyone's laughter died down, Joan shot Grace a look.

"You can't seriously think Adam's an idiot for quitting. You do remember that Ryan owns the paper, right?"

"I thought we were gonna use him as a spy," Grace commented dryly.

Adam's eyes widened as he turned to meet Grace's. "Spy? Seriously, what is going on with you guys?"

Grace and Joan exchanged a knowing look and Adam felt helpless, out of the loop. Joan asked, "Should we tell him?"

"Tell me what?" Adam interjected when no one immediately answered.

"Well," Joan began. "Ryan's evil."

"Evil how?"

"Evil as in burned down the synagogue. As in has his own agenda. As in wants to control everyone and everything that is of importance in this town to suit his needs."

"Wait a minute," Adam frowned. "Ryan burned down the synagogue?"

Joan nodded. "Yeah."

He rubbed his eyebrow unsurely. "Okay, and you know that how?"

"I just know, okay?"

"And why is he not in jail?"

"See, that's the thing. He's charmed everyone. The police, the neighborhood watch, the city council. Everyone. You basically can't hurt him. That's included in his evil plan."

Adam was silent for a moment, then let his eyes wander from person to person. "And you're all in on this?"

Everyone nodded, then Grace spoke up. "Yeah, a hundred percent. I mean, I know, dude, it all sounds so surreal, right? But Girardi had some really convincing arguments."

"Okay," Adam conceded. "I think I need some time to digest this."

---...----...---

Heh, how about that? Sorry, couldn't resist. smile Next I'd like to see Adam and Grace walking home alone and some earnest conversation about his financial situation. Any takers?

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."

#8 22 Aug 07 :: 18:26

magicalturkey
Website

This is just never gonna end, is it?

LifeSucks.jpg

#9 22 Aug 07 :: 18:32

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Depends on whether you guys would like it to. smile

-TeeJay

#10 22 Aug 07 :: 18:36

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Good writing, Tina. I wish I could join this little game.
Tina, do you still have the part of my fanfiction I sent to you? Can you translate it sometime, maybe? I really wanna finish it, I'll try soon. But I want to have it translated too, maybe I can't manage to finish it, so I want to post at least the part I already have. It does not have to be right now, though, you can do it after your vacation.

PS: My mom just handed me your package! Thank you!!! :dancing:

I hugged the Seeker!

#11 22 Aug 07 :: 19:23

magicalturkey
Website

"So, what are you gonna do now?" Grace asked as she and Adam walked home from school.

He shook his head and shrugged.  "I'll think of something."

"And what are you gonna do for money until you hit your epiphany?"

He shrugged again.  "Try to sell some sculptures, I guess.  Find out who's hiring.  People are always quiting at Food Town."

"Dude, you'd be miserable bagging groceries."

"Yeah, but it wouldn't cost as much to go shopping."

"What's the employee discount there?" she asked.  "Five cents off week old cabbage?"

"I'll think of something, ok?"

"Ok.  Just do it quick.  Your dad's kind of accustomed to eating."

"We'll be fine.  He's still getting Worker's Comp pay."

"That hasn't been enough for the last year, what makes you think it will now?"

He paused for a long moment.  "We'll make it work.  Only buy necessities.   Like I said, I'll try to sell some sculptures.  We'll find a way."

LifeSucks.jpg

#12 22 Aug 07 :: 19:43

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Grace was silent and Adam added, "Joan said she would help."

She looked at him. "Yeah, what exactly was going on with you two earlier?"

He shrugged. "I told her I quit the internship. Next thing I know, she's wrapped around me. I was as surprised as you were."

She smirked. "Don't tell me you didn't like it."

"You don't know the half of it."

"Don't get any ideas, though."

"What do you mean?"

She gave him a look. "You know what I mean."

"Yeah," he sighed, his voice suddenly low and sad.

"Hey, I'm not saying it's never gonna happen. Personally? I think there's still something there."

He looked at her skeptically. "You think? I was an ass. What I did was unforgivable."

"Agree on the first statement. Agree on the second too, but there appears to be evidence against that."

He frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Never mind. Just don't do anything stupid. If she wants it, it's gotta come from her."

He just nodded and they continued to walk the rest of the way in silence.

#13 22 Aug 07 :: 20:07

Digi-Dragon

Wow... The ever continuing fanfic. I enjoyed it! Seems like Adam would make that decision, too (very Adam-ish). I have nothing to add at the moment- I'll just be a spectator.

My life long dream is to somehow get Adam Rove into a puppy-suit. Until then, my imagination will have to tide me over.

Thanks to Laura AKA magicalturkey for finding my avatar. I am not worthy.

#14 22 Aug 07 :: 20:32

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

That was awesome.  You guys rock!

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#15 22 Aug 07 :: 20:34

magicalturkey
Website

Yes.  Yes, we do big_smile

Last edited by magicalturkey (22 Aug 07 :: 20:35)

LifeSucks.jpg

#16 22 Aug 07 :: 21:41

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Oh, and Anne? I have a few versions of your German story, Verführung. Is that the one you mean? I can try to translate it, but I can't promise when I'll be able to get to it. I'll do what I can, okay?

-TeeJay

#17 22 Aug 07 :: 21:58

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

That is what I asked you. Thanks.

I hugged the Seeker!

#18 25 Oct 07 :: 21:08

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Oh, uh, I almost forgot about this. I wrote another scene for the neverending fic the other week and never posted it. Here you go.

----------------------------------------------------------

She was watching him out of the corner of her eye, how he looked at his wallet and looked again, as if the second time he'd find more than the two bucks that he probably had left.

Joan tore herself away from the doorframe and walked over to where he was standing at his locker, his back turned towards her. She took a twenty dollar bill out of her purse and held it out to him, prompting him to look up at her.

"Jane? What's this?"

She pushed her arm forward another inch. "Take it," she said.

"I don't need your money," he started to protest.

"Yes, you do," she quietly contradicted him.

He lowered his head in shame. She was right, but it felt so wrong.

Joan spoke again. "Adam, please take it. Go and buy some groceries. You can pay me back when you have a new job."

He reluctantly took the bill from her hand.

"This isn't right," he mumbled. "But thanks."

"No, it's not right. But what Ryan's doing isn't right either. Man, we need to find you a new job."

"Easier said than done."

"Are you looking in the paper?"

"Every day."

"What about the hotel?" she asked.

"They don't have any openings right now."

"The video store?"

He sighed. "They said you need to be over 18."

"That's bull."

"Maybe so, but it doesn't look like they're gonna hire me."

Her eyes lit up. "I'll ask Sammy if you can fill in for me at the bookstore."

His face fell. "He hired you, not me. I doubt he'll agree."

"But it's worth a shot," she tried to encourage him.

"Yeah, I guess."

He sounded so crestfallen and dispirited. She couldn't help but draw him to her and hug him. He reluctantly acquiesced and his arms came around her back. Her mouth next to his ear, she told him, "We're gonna figure something out. I'll ask everyone I know. There has to be someone in this town who will give you a job."

He didn't say anything, but his gaze on her was more confident when he pulled away from the embrace. "Thank you," he said quietly.

#19 26 Oct 07 :: 19:20

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

His "purse"?  Guys don't carry purses, for the most part.  He'd look in his wallet.  And I wouldn't say "vacancies" in relation to a job.  I'd say "openings".

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#20 26 Oct 07 :: 21:06

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Must have written it with my British English in mind. wink I corrected it, thanks.

-TeeJay

#21 26 Oct 07 :: 21:09

magicalturkey
Website

Why can't Adam carry a man purse? tongue

LifeSucks.jpg

#22 26 Oct 07 :: 21:41

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

He does, except it's called a messenger bag.

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#23 09 Nov 07 :: 06:50

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

Awesome idea for a Adam/Joan fanfic!!

Board footer