#251 28 Jan 08 :: 02:04

OhGnarly

Re: Post your recent DVD purchases

Jeez, Deb, quite a haul! You've got some really awesome new movies. And how did you live this long without the Freaks & Geeks box set?! yikes

#252 28 Jan 08 :: 02:25

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

I've been asking myself that, Brenna.  I do have them taped off TV.  But I've always wanted the DVDs.

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#253 28 Jan 08 :: 02:54

Chnyst
Dork in Plastic
Website

I feel that we've discussed this before, but do ya have 'Undeclared' as well? Great series! big_smile

fbsig.jpg

#254 28 Jan 08 :: 03:10

justme
Supreme Dorquette

I LOVE "Undeclared", Sean!  It's one of my favorites ever.  I never saw "Freaks & Geeks" when it was originally on.  I just got into it after "Undeclared", because of the Apatow connection.  I'm SO glad I did!!!

#255 28 Jan 08 :: 03:29

Chnyst
Dork in Plastic
Website

Awesome! I loved 'em both!

fbsig.jpg

#256 28 Jan 08 :: 04:40

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

I love your choice in movies and shows, Deb! One Flew Over The Cuckoos List is awesome and so is Freaks And Geeks!!!

#257 28 Jan 08 :: 19:26

OhGnarly

Yep, I've got Undeclared. I never got to watch it when it aired on television, but I grabbed it the day it was released on DVD. Such a great show.

#258 30 Jan 08 :: 03:50

Chnyst
Dork in Plastic
Website

I had a quick question for you guys, IllinoisGuy inparticular-have you considered switching over to the Blu-ray or HD-DVD format? A few of us have some pretty large DVD collections, and the thought of going to another format gives me mixed feelings- I was just curious what you all thought....

fbsig.jpg

#259 30 Jan 08 :: 06:55

OhGnarly

My dad has the player that plays both Blu-ray and HD-DVDs, but I think the market is leaning towards Blu-ray these days. Some of the movies he's bought look amazing in the new format, but with others, the difference isn't all that noticeable. I think they're also still working a few kinks out with some of the players, as we've had to update the software through the Internet a few times now.

#260 30 Jan 08 :: 08:45

Illinoisguy1
Banned

With the recent announcement by Warner Bros. that they are going Blu-Ray exclusive, it basically has put the nail in the coffin of HD DVD. I have read that stores will no longer be carrying HD DVD movies and that stores are putting the HD DVD players on clearance. Sales of Blu-Ray exceed HD DVD by a healthy margin, even though Blu-Ray is more expensive.

I really think most people are still happy enough with regular DVD and will not buy into another format anytime soon. Just like OhGnarly pointed out, the difference isn't that noticeable. Whereas the difference between DVD and VHS was big, it isn't that much between DVD and high definition dvd.

With the prices of both players and movies remaining quite high for both of the high definition formats, I think that it will remain a niche market for many years to come. Plus many will be reluctant to venture into another dvd format because some think that they have to buy all of their movies all over again in the new format, even though they are backwards compatible.

I know I will wait many years before I upgrade into a high definition home entertainment system.

#261 30 Jan 08 :: 17:01

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

But we all have to buy HD TVs soon or we won't be able to even watch TV anymore, once the switch-over happens in 2009.  I guess that's where my money will go.

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#262 30 Jan 08 :: 17:21

Illinoisguy1
Banned

Actually no Deb, if you receive tv over cable or satellite you are fine and will still be able to watch tv on the old tvs. However if you only receive tv via antenna, then you will need a new antenna, which the government is offering coupons for via a special website.

#263 31 Jan 08 :: 23:53

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Do People Know That TV As They Know It Will Shut Down?

Two new surveys released Wednesday provided conflicting conclusions about consumer awareness of the switch to digital television slated for February 17, 2009, Broadcasting & Cable reported. One, by the National Association of Broadcasters, concluded that 79 percent of the public is now aware of the planned transition. The other, by Consumer Reports, noted that of the households that will lose over-the-air transmission on the cutoff date, 24 percent believed they weren't affected and another 25 percent said that they didn't know whether they would be affected or not. "The good news is that surveys from Consumers Union and the broadcast industry show that more Americans are becoming aware of the DTV transition," Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein told B&C. "The bad news is that there is still a lot of confusion that could turn into widespread panic if the government doesn't take a more proactive role."

Source: Studio Briefing Today

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#264 02 Feb 08 :: 17:27

Illinoisguy1
Banned

Got these this morning for $5 each

13154h.jpg

612468h.jpg

Also got two of the Digiview $1 DVDs.
Danger Beneath the Sea (with Casper Van Dien)
Strike Force (with Richard Gere)

Not dvds, but I also got 2 calendars that were on clearance.
Family Guy($5) and Star Wars($2.50)

#265 02 Feb 08 :: 19:30

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

I love Clue!  I've seen it like a hundred times.  Know all the dialog by heart.  Tim Curry and Madeline Kahn are soooooo wonderful in it.  In the theater, the showed three different versions --- A, B & C with each of the different endings. I saw them all multiple times, but ending C is my favorite.  I never liked that the video version just has all three endings, one right after the other.  But still, such a fun movie!

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#266 02 Feb 08 :: 19:56

Chnyst
Dork in Plastic
Website

Clue was pretty cool and fun. But man, I LOVE the Untouchables! One of my all-time favs!
My new additions are: Sunshine, The Gameplan, Saw IV, Johnny Dangerously, and Battlestar Galactica: Razor. smile

fbsig.jpg

#267 02 Feb 08 :: 20:08

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

The local Karstadt store is having a sale at the moment, so I went there on Thursday to get the following:

Both Bridget Jones Movies in a Box for 10€
M*A*S*H Season 1 for 15€ (I used to watch it with my grandma when I was a kid, I love that show! LOL)
Plus I got a real treasure of German Television. In the Sixties there was a German TV show similar to the Enterprise/Voyager/etc series. It was about a space shuttle called "Orion". When I was a kid it was on TV again and we used to watch it. I loved it. Of course it is in black and white and the"Special Effects" are nothing today, but this show is so funny. For example they used an iron flat as a control stick! lol I'll try to make some screencaps later, it's just so funny. When I saw that they made a DVD of that show I just had to buy it.

And a few days earlier I bought 13 going on 30 and the movie about the Soccer World Championship in Germany. They were cheap so I thought I could afford them. I've already made Screencaps from 13 going on 30 for our gallery.

I hugged the Seeker!

#268 02 Feb 08 :: 20:18

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Sunshine, Sean?  What's that?

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#269 02 Feb 08 :: 20:28

Illinoisguy1
Banned

Probably this one.

It's supposed to be a very good film.

1376560h.jpg

#270 02 Feb 08 :: 20:29

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Oh yeah.  Totally forgot about that movie.

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#271 02 Feb 08 :: 20:37

Illinoisguy1
Banned

46109h.jpg

Just got done watching this. It's basically like Crimson Tide, but without the good actors. I wasn't expecting much for a buck, but it was an ok film. It also stars that guy from the old series Major Dad.

#272 02 Feb 08 :: 23:10

Chnyst
Dork in Plastic
Website

Yea, that's the one(Sunshine)!
It was cheap and it was recommended so I picked it up & will probably check it out this weekend.

fbsig.jpg

#273 03 Feb 08 :: 09:12

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

Illinoisguy, whats your fave movie??

#274 03 Feb 08 :: 12:17

Illinoisguy1
Banned

I couldn't really pick just one favorite movie. Of course I do have favorite movies.

If you want I could list a few.

#275 03 Feb 08 :: 16:22

Illinoisguy1
Banned

Bought these two this morning for $7.50 each.

444066h.jpg

544194h.jpg

All I need is this one to complete my Star Trek: Collector's Edition collection.
670031h.jpg

Board footer