#1 07 Oct 08 :: 07:03

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

Lets post some mini-reviews and recommendations! :D

At first i thoughted to title this "I quess I should give horror movies another chance... Any recommendations?" Boogeyman really wasn't a good choise to start with. Dumb plotline...

My posts always start to ramble so this grew past the first thought too. I love many different kinds of movies. I'll bet most of us do. I'd love it  if everyone could post some small reviews of their favorite movies or lately seen flicks. Old and new, all the different genres. Lets celebrate the diversity of films here. Let's give eatch other some good recommendations! big_smile

Is this a bad idea? :silly: Or is there another thread like this and I missed it?

joa219crysig.jpg

#2 11 Oct 08 :: 14:01

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

Re: Lets post some mini-reviews and recommendations! :D

So... This was a bad idea. lol

joa219crysig.jpg

#3 11 Oct 08 :: 14:10

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

I'm not a big fan of horror movies. I only watched Freddy vs. Jason because of Chris. And it wasn't fun watching what we call Crap on a Stick. Why does Chris only have to die 10 minutes before the end?? tongue

I'm gonna watch Resurrection Mary, though. Sean's in it.

I usually post mini reviews about movies I've watched somewhere in the Square Eyes thread when I feel like it.

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#4 11 Oct 08 :: 14:41

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

What TeeJay said. I'm not a big fan of horror either, but I'll watch horror movies that have my people. wink
I also post reviews of movies sometimes, it's just that my English isn't good enough to tell everything I want to, so I mostly keep this stuff short. But I refuse to watch dubbed movies, so that helps with the English issue.

I hugged the Seeker!

#5 11 Oct 08 :: 15:26

irina

oh dear, i am a movie freak so i would like to see here the latest movie you saw and liked or the movie you saw a long time ago and now you remembered you liked it.

i liked very few horror movies because usually they start out good but they are not scary in the end. one that really scared me was " the grudge ". i only saw the american version and i understand that the japanese original is better.
but i saw " dark water " the japanese original and it was just so creepy. i think japanese horrors are very good.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308379/

so here are some random movies that i liked a lot.

" all about eve " - it's an old bette davis movie . it's not maybe the most original idea but it's very well acted. and i love black and white classics.
american history x - i suppose everyone has seen this one. it's a great movie with edward norton. but it's not just him i liked all the cast and the way it is made. it is a movie against racism but it's not very preachy , i think it is very smartly done.
arsenic and old lace - i love old comedies. this one is with cary grant. it makes little sense but i thought it is very funny.
my all time favourites - " before sunrise " and " before sunset " - i am in love with this movies. i even made my husband watch them and surprisingly he loved them too. i think they are the ultimate romantic movies.
" cat on a hot tin roof " - i can not decide who i love more in this movie elizabeth taylor or paul newman. anyway i saw it like 10 times.
" chasing amy "  and  " dogma " are the two kevin smith movies i like. they are very different. chasing amy is a story of love and of how men are stupid tongue dogma is a fun movie about exactly about what the title says dogmas. i laughed like hell watching dogma. every time i see the buddy Jesus i fall of my chair.
" crash " - i don't care about what everybody sayd i really liked this movie. it's movie that made me take 1 minute before opening my mouth and yell at someone i don't really know.
" the constant gardener " - it's such a sad movie. i found hard to follow at times but it was worth it.
dogfight and running on empty are the movies where i fell in love with river phoenix.

i got a lot more but i'm taking a break now :embarrassed:

#6 11 Oct 08 :: 18:11

Illinoisguy1
Banned

The Abyss  - A great sci-fi adventure with some of the best underwater sequences ever filmed. Plus with a nice message and a powerful ending.

Airplane! - The classic Zucker comedy that's still a laugh riot 20+ years later.

Alien - Probably the best sci-fi horror film ever made.

Aliens - A great follow up to Alien, that has some of the best action sequences ever. Plus with Weaver's Oscar nominated performance.

Armageddon - An enjoyable blockbuster with an emotional ending.

Back to the Future trilogy - One of the best sci-fi trilogies ever. With the first being the best imo.

Beauty and the Beast (Disney) - My favorite Disney animated film ever. Terrific songs. Plus an exciting and emotional ending.

Black Snake Moan - A strange movie. But with great performances by Jackson & Ricci.

Blade Runner - A terrific sci-fi film. Great performances by Ford & Rutger.

Blazing Saddles - One of my favorite Mel Brooks films ever.

Born on the Fourth of July - Terrific war film with what I think is Cruise's best performance.

The Brady Bunch Movie - One of the few times a movie based on a tv series worked. Great casting & Long's portrayal of Mrs. Brady is spot on.

The Bridge on the river Kwai - One of the best David Lean films. Terrific acting by Alec. Truly epic.

Chasing Amy Very good film.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Great musical. Dick Van Dyke is great. But the real star is the car.

Christine One of the only John Carpenter films I like. In a weird way you feel sorry for Christine at the end.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - One of the best Spielberg films. A true classic.

Courage Under Fire - Terrific film with great acting by Denzel, Ryan and Matt Damon.

The Day the Earth Stood Still - One of the best films from the 1950's. Rennie is great. Gort is terrfic.

Devil's Advocate - Very good film. Probably Reeve's best performance. Pacino is great as the Devil.

Die Hard 1 & 2 - Great action films. Willis is John McClane, nobody else could be.

Disturbia - A very good film. Sure it's a knock-off of Rear Window, but I liked it. Shia is very good. David Morse is just creepy and demented.

Dogma - My other favorite Kevin Smith film. Plus what other film would show you a shit demon.

Dragonslayer - My favorite dragon films. Just to think that the dragon isn't CGI is mind-boggling. What a dragon should look like. Classic.

I'll continue later.

#7 11 Oct 08 :: 21:35

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

Wow, you Illinoisguy really got into this. big_smile

I liked Armageddon and The Die Hards a lot too. Just gotta love the action movies Willis did on the 90's. big_smile I have to thank my little brother A for getting me into american action movies when we were teens. I watched a lot of Willis and Stallone with him. big_smile

joa219crysig.jpg

#8 11 Oct 08 :: 21:39

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

Irina.
Yeah, I've seen american history x many times from TV. That is good.

You named a lot of movies I've always wanted to see but never came across one. before sunrise, before sunset, crash, the constant gardener. I think I'll be going to rent movies for a change. Haven't done that for a long time...

joa219crysig.jpg

#9 11 Oct 08 :: 21:49

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

CappuGirlFin wrote:

You named a lot of movies I've always wanted to see but never came across one. before sunrise, before sunset, crash, the constant gardener. I think I'll be going to rent movies for a change. Haven't done that for a long time...

Same here. I still have a few movies on my list that I somehow never manage zu see.

I hugged the Seeker!

#10 11 Oct 08 :: 21:52

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

I love American History X. It's my favorite movie, after all of Chris's of course.  ; )
I recommend Summer Fling a.k.a. Last Of The High Kings, Chapter 27, Jimmy And Judy, and Brokeback Mountain.

#11 11 Oct 08 :: 22:05

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan wrote:

Summer Fling a.k.a. Last Of The High Kings

I just looked this up. Looks interesting. big_smile I doubt I'll never see it here unless they deside to show it on TV. It's hard to find dvd's from the 90's movies and they really don't sell or rent vhs anymore here. :doh:

Cirka year 1996 I liked Jared Leto alot. I never skipped an episode of 'My so called life'. I so want to see that again. big_smile

joa219crysig.jpg

#12 11 Oct 08 :: 22:19

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Definitely agree with Mel on Brokeback Mountain. That's a great one. I don't know the other ones.

I hugged the Seeker!

#13 11 Oct 08 :: 22:45

Illinoisguy1
Banned

E.T. - A real classic.

Edward Scissorhands - One of the best Tim Burton films. Depp is great. It's one of the best non-Christmas Christmas movies.

Equilibrium - Some of the best choreographed fight sequences ever.

Eye for an Eye - Sally Field is great as the mother of the rape victim. Kiefer Sutherland is just terrific at being bad.

Field of Dreams - One of the only sports movies I really like.

The Fifth Element - Another Willis films I like. Great fx.

Flags of Our Fathers - One of the really good war films. Right up there with the best of them.

For Your Eyes Only - My favorite Bond film.

Forbidden Planet - One of my favorite 1950's scifi films. Plus Robby the Robot in his iconic role.

The French Connection - Gene Hackman at this best. Plus one of the greatest chases ever put on film.

Galaxy Quest - A hilarious send-up of tv series like Star Trek, it's cast & it's fans.

Ghostbusters - Do I have to explain why this is recommended?

Gladiator - "Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"

Godzilla (1998) - OK it gets put down a lot, but I liked it. Great pop-corn flick.

Gremlins - One of the best Spielberg produced films. "Milk-duds!!"

Groundhog Day - One of my favorite Bill Murray films outside of the Ghostbusters series.

Hot Shots - One of the last good lampoon films, before they got really bad.

The Hunt for Red October - Great suspense film. Connery at his best.

The I Inside - A little seen film, with a great performance by Ryan Phillippe.

I, Robot - OK, a complete different take on the classic tv episode. But for what it is, I really enjoyed it.

In the Line of Fire - Clint Eastwood's classic about the secret service. Malkovich is terrific.

Independence Day - OK, another one of the summer blockbusters I really like.

Indiana Jones trilogy - Indiana Jones - enough said.

Innerspace - Very funny. Martin Short is great. Plus the fx still hold up very well.

It's a Wonderful Life - The classic Christmas movie.

One of the A's I forgot before.
Air Force One - Harrison Ford as a kick-ass President. Great action.

#14 11 Oct 08 :: 23:07

Illinoisguy1
Banned

Jaws

Jumanji

The Jurassic Park trilogy - The best CGI dinos ever put on screen.

The King & I - I think the best musical ever made. Powerful & emotional finale.

King Kong (1933) - Still the best Kong film ever imo.

King Kong (2005) - The best remake to date of King Kong. Terrific action scenes.

Lawrence of Arabia - My favorite David Lean film. Truly epic in scale.

Little Boy Blue - Another hardly seen film. Sick, twisted. Ryan Phillippe in one of his best acting on his then just beginning career.

Little Shop of Horrors (1986 - Great songs. Moranis is perfect. Steve Martin is a laugh riot as the dentist.

Lord of the Rings trilogy - I like this so much more than the Harry Potter films. Return of the King is my favorite.

Mary Poppins - Julie Andrews in her signature role.

The Mask - Really the only Jim Carrey film I really like.

The Matrix trilogy - Still #1 is the best.

Men in Black - Will Smith at his best.

Minority Report

Mission: Impossible trilogy - Really good action scenes.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail - The best Python movie imo.

Forgot one of the "B" series:
The Bourne trilogy - Matt Damon as an action star - who would have thought that.

#15 11 Oct 08 :: 23:36

Illinoisguy1
Banned

The Naked Gun trilogy - Leslie Nielsen is a laugh riot. The only thing that distracts from the movie is O.J. Simpson, but at least his character gets abused a lot.

A Night to Remember - The best Titanic movie before Titanic.

Norma Rae - Sally Field in her Oscar winning role.

Patton - George C. Scott 'is' Patton.

Pearl Harbor - OK, so I like Michael Bay films.

Peggy Sue Got Married - The female version of Back to the Future. Kathleen Turner is great.

Planet of the Apes

Pleasantville - A simple, but powerful idea. Even though they explain how they did the color fx, I still am confused.

The Poseidon Adventure - Shelly Winters, enough said.

Predator - Arnold against a space alien hunter. Machismo all the way.

Rebel Without a Cause - 'The' James Dean film.

Robocop - The over the top, violent, twisted humor classic.

Ruthless People - "Poodle Bombs"

Saving Private Ryan - Maybe the last, great Spielberg directed film.

The Shrek film

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - A unique homage to the 1930's serials.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Some Like it Hot

Southland Tales - Sure, it's confusing,complicated and strange. But I found it unique, exciting and strangely emotional.

Spaceballs - Mel Brooks last funny film?

Speed Racer - A real tribute to the classic anime. Just like the cartoon, but brought to life. Not as childish as The Flintstones movie was.

My favorite Star Trek films:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - KHAN!!! - One of the best ship to ship battles in a Trek film.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home - Save the whales.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - Great send off to the original cast.

Star Trek: First Contact - The Borg.

Star Trek: Nemesis - Hated by many, but I like it. One of the best ship battles in a Trek film.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Star Wars trilogy (1977-1983) - So much better than the prequels.

Starship Troopers - Some of the best CGI to date. Even after 10+ years the fx holds up to anything today.

Superman: The Movie & Superman II - The best of the Christopher Reeves Superman movies.

#16 11 Oct 08 :: 23:39

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

Illinois has a lot of my favorites on his lists. Pretty similar taste. big_smile
I haven't really warmed up to the Bond movies (propably because of all the hype around it) but if YOU say that one is good, I just might give it a shot. big_smile

Here's some of my favorite movies that come to mind:

Back to the Future trilogy

Star wars 1-6 -  just plain awesome. big_smile

Die hard 1-4  - I think 3 was the one that wasn't as good as the rest. four was different but I forgive it's flaws because they gave Justin Long a brake. big_smile

Other Willis favorites: Blind date (oldie, seen on TV couple of times), Hudson Hawk, Twelve monkeys, The fifth element, Mercury rising, Armageddon, Unbreakable, Bandits, The whole nine yards + the seguel, and ofcourse Alpha dog. big_smile

Rocky movies

Demolition man was good too. against all odds! lol

Favorite Marvel: Spiderman 1-3, X-men 1-3, Hulk (2003 + 2008), Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic four 1-2, ofcourse Ghost rider (Nic Cage is great)

Other good Cage movies: Honeymoon in Vegas, The Rock, Face/off, Con air, Gone in sixty seconds, Windtalkers, National treasure (haven't seen the seguel yet).

Huh, these are just some of my favorites in action. There's so much movies I like it would take a day to list them all.. I didn't even get to the Jackie Chans yet! And there's lots of romance movies I like...

One movie I want to recommend on this spot is pretty fresh The forbidden Kingdom. It has Jackie Chan in it and Jet Li. And Michael Angarano. That dude is good. I totally loved this movie. It was eventful, funny and heartwarming. The storyline was great. I'd give it five stars!

joa219crysig.jpg

#17 12 Oct 08 :: 02:48

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Mel, I'm watching Chapter 27 right now.  smile

I saw Religulous in the theater today.  It's great!  Definitely a buy on DVD.

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#18 12 Oct 08 :: 04:31

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

CappuGirlFin wrote:
BiggestChrisMarquetteFan wrote:

Summer Fling a.k.a. Last Of The High Kings

I just looked this up. Looks interesting. big_smile I doubt I'll never see it here unless they deside to show it on TV.
Cirka year 1996 I liked Jared Leto alot. I never skipped an episode of 'My so called life'. I so want to see that again. big_smile

It's a really well done independent movie. I have it on DVD.  : D
It's filmed in Ireland and anyone who is a fan of Jared Leto, Christina Ricci, or Catherine O' Hara should definitely check it out.
I have My So Called Life as well. It's 1 of my favorite shows and I love Jordan (Jared) in it.

Deb, tell me what you think of Chapter 27. It's a really dramatic film but Jared did such a great job in it! On the other hand, Lindsay Lohan just really annoys me in it.

#19 12 Oct 08 :: 10:54

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Filmed in Ireland? I think I'm going to check out that movie! big_smile

I hugged the Seeker!

#20 12 Oct 08 :: 16:03

Illinoisguy1
Banned

The Talented Mr. Ripley - Great film. Matt Damon is great.

Terminator & Terminator 2 - Arnold at his best.

They Live - Terrific low budget sci-fi film.

Titanic - Yup, I liked it a lot. Some just love to hate it for what ever reason.

Tootsie - Dustin Hoffman is great, as is Bill Murray, Terri Garr and Jessica Lange.

Toy Story 1 & 2 - Great animated films. The toy collector in the second one reminds me of myself.

Transformers - Another of the summer blockbusters that I like. I can watch the final battle over and over again.

Tron - "End of line"

12 Monkeys

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Still the best version of the classic story.

The Untouchables

The War of the Worlds (1953) - My favorite version.

WarGames - "Tic Tac Toe"

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - Another classic

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory - Oompa Loompas

The Wizard of Oz

I may have missed some from my owned list.

Just wonder if I should go through my wish list and choose ones I would recommend.

#21 12 Oct 08 :: 18:57

irina

i usually can get what sort of movies someone likes after they list aruond 50 but i have to admit Illinoisguy still puzzles me.
but what i wanted to say is that i saw " the i inside " and " little boy blue " and liked them. it's just hard to see ryan phillippe in something and not like it. they're not great movies but they are interesting.

#22 12 Oct 08 :: 19:47

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

I saw Wargames for the first time when I was a kid and I still like it. It's a classic to me. Back then noone knew how far we would be with computers and internet and all that stuff today. wink

I hugged the Seeker!

#23 12 Oct 08 :: 20:00

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Chapter 27 was OK, Mel.  Very depressing, but yeah, great work from Jared Leto.

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#24 13 Oct 08 :: 00:47

irina

so some more movies. i think i like this thread.

billy elliot - it is not a very sophisticated movie but it just touched my heart. the boy playing billy is adorable. it's the story of a little boy who wanted to be ballet  dancer.                                                                                                                                                        the brave - it stars johnny depp and marlon brando. it's very very sad movie.
the doors if you ever liked the music of the band doors you are gonna love this movie. val kilmer is unbelievable.
fight club - i suppose i don't have to say anything about this one.
garden state - i know lots of people said this is an indie for the sake of being of indie and that it has no point. that maybe true but i loved it and i liked zach braff in it too.
gone with the wind - do i eeven need to say why? big_smile people as children have different wishes i wished i could marry rhett buttler big_smile
good will hunting - it's just so sweet.
into the wild - this movie just moved me to tears. great acting, great scenery, great everything.
liberty heights  - it's a little movie that it is very flawed but the acting is just so good and the movie heart-warming. it stars ben foster and adrien brody.
a little romance - i saw it first lots of years ago and i just had to have it on dvd. it took me years to find but i did it. it stars diane lane as a very young girl in the most beautiful story about young love. it's so beautiful i cry every time i see it.
la mala education  - interesting and twisted, we would expect anything less from almodovar. it stars gael garcia bernal which i like very much. i was almost gelous how good he looked dressed as a girl.
mask - no, not the jim carey one. this one stars cher and eric stoltz, not you could recognize him in this movie. a terrible sad story about a boy with a birth defect that affected his face and his life.
mysterious skin - dark, sad but a great movie. and i fell in love with joseph gordon levitt.
one flew over the cuckoo's nest - i suppose this one needs no review.
ordinary people - a very moving film. the story of a family falling apart.
peter pan - the one from 2003. ok, i know it's silly but i love the story of peter pan. it's such a sad one and one that i think we all go through. i for one wish i could have been a little girl forever. i just cry my eyes out when this movie ends.
the philadelphia story - one of my all time favourite comedies. with cary grant and james stuart and catherine hepburn. just great !!!
playing by heart - the cast is so great and the story so nice and the dialogue very witty that i just ignored the very obvious flaws and enjoyed it a lot. stars : sean connery, angelina jolie, ryan phillipe, gillian anderson and many more.
rocket science - if you ever were a teenager and weird you'll love it. it's so not pretentious and every time i thought it's gonna fell into the trap of the usual teenagers movie it managed to stare clear.
say anything - yes it's silly and full of cliques but i just like it.
scent of a woman - for all the obvious reasons.
stand by me - a stephen king movie so not stephen kingy tongue just a childhood story.
tanguy - this is a brilliant french comedy. they made a hollywood lame rip off from it but the original is just crazy funny. the very funny story of a young man that parents desperately wish he would move out of their house.
thelma and louise - yes maybe it is a male bashing movie but who gives a dam tongue i love it and i fell in love forever with susan sarandon.
transamerica - i suppose you all seen it. it's just so well made and acted. i discovered kevin zegers in this movie and i like him a lot.
treasure planet - it's an animation movie but i am aloud to like animation movies even if i am 28 right??? i even downloaded the soundtrack
l'ultimo bacio - it's a great italian movie about well, about love and being around 30 and wanting more in life and just about life. of course hollywood again decided to make a lame remake. why, o why????

so these are the one that come to my mind. quite a lot of them. i just love movies. :embarrassed:

#25 13 Oct 08 :: 07:03

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

About some of Irina's movies...

billy elliot I loved this one. Jamie Bell was very good at it. He too is all grown up now. I last saw him in Jumper. That was a nice flick too. big_smile

garden state I've wanted to see this one since I first saw the trailer. it sounds good. Another movie I never come across anywhere..

a little romance You made this one sound so good I had to check out the Imdb. 1979.. I almost never watch movies from that decade. They are impossible to find here and they're never on tv..

mysterious skin I liked this one. And was shocked by. I too fell for Joseph Gordon-Levitt thanks to this one. It was the first time ever I saw him anything else but 3rd rock and I was very impressed with his acting skills. smile

peter pan I absolutely loved this movie. It was enchanting, so magical. And so not for kids under 10.. atleast.. Thanks to you I propably have dig into the dvd collection and hope I still find it in good condition. big_smile

say anything
I so want to see this now. I saw someone put in on the dvd-list here and checked it out in Imdb. Sounds awesome. big_smile

transamerica Another one I've wanted to see since it came out but never came across. I think we even had in on tv once and I missed it..

Last edited by CappuGirlFin (26 Oct 08 :: 17:50)

joa219crysig.jpg

Board footer