#1 12 Oct 06 :: 05:32

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

2x08 Friday Night

Good God, y'all.

OK, first of all, getting the DVD ROM to work was an all day ordeal. My computer started acting weird after we got it in and when I got home, I discovered that Firefox got scrambled somehow and wouldn't work so I had to use IE to relinstall it and reboot twice to get the DLL error that mysteriouly appeared to go away.

And then, I downloaded the codec for DivX only to discover that they no longer support WinME and it wasn't going to work. I somehow remembered that some sites offer free downloads of older versions of stuff so I Googled and found one and finally had the Power DVD (which is also giving me an error, but still working) up and playing in beautiful full screen on my 17" monitor. Cool enough, but I need better speakers. It sounds clean but I can't get enough volume. I just have these tiny, crappy $10 speakers. I'll find something better.

And now, with all that boring stuff aside, I'll tell you that I have been longing to see the scene from Friday Night of the date in the restaurant just to see Adam say, "You look so pretty, Jane." The way he says that, the expression on his face just melts me every single time. Now, I could've watched the clip. I've got in onfile from j-a.org. But that's not what I wanted.

You see, I missed this episode when it first aired because I was in LA with my former writing partner at a screenwriting conference. We didn't get back to the hotel room in time. I don't know why I didn't get it on tape back home. I had my buddy Dave taping my shows while dogsitting for me. The next weekend, Pete and I were in tiny Safford, Arizona, trying to see the Pope Scope on a research trip for a sci-fi story we wanted to write. I did get back to the motel in time to see No Future. And I was completely shocked because I had no idea Judith died. And I just remember I waited and waited for them to say what happened and they danced around it in the dialog for a little bit, which annoyed me.

Later in the season, Friday Night was repeated and I don't know why I didn't get it on tape that time either, except that my J/A ship thing and my Chris crush didn't blow up into an obsession until T&E. So I don't have many eps on tape. I'm sure the first time I saw Firday Night, I was affected. But it was also post T&E and before we knew for sure if we were losing the show. I'm not sure I paid close attention. Because this episode is one of those perfect gems that you maybe get only once or twice a season.

I'm a big fan of seeing things in context, watching episodes in order for maximum impact. But I know this show so intimately that I don't think it's completely necessary anymore. So I don't feel too weird that I chose Friday Night as the very first ep I would watch from my S2 set.

What does feel weird is that I've been trying to keep myself in a good mood for a while. Right now, TeeJay and I are working on a rather fluffy/angsty/sweet/sexy/hopeful JOA fic series that just makes me giddy. I am trying so hard to stay inside the bubble I've been calling happyland that it is very weird that I would want to watch Friday Night.

It's dark and painful and we lose a character. But it's also tightly written, incredibly emotionally impactful and prefectly acted by every single cast member. I love that there is no cop plot at all, except as it surrounds Judith. There is nothing in this episode that feels wasted to me. I cannot fast forward through a second of it. There are so many incredible moments that I could spend the next hour describing them. And you guys don't need that because I know that you've watched the ep repeatedly yourselves. What I do wanna say is that I feel like I saw it for the very first time tonight. And it feels like the Jump of S2 to me somehow.

As for Adam, I know you guys hate that he left Joan at the hospital on her own. I'm not fond of it myself. But I don't think it foreshadowed their split. I just think that Adam honestly gets wigged out by things sometimes and it overwhelms him. I believe that he couldn't take being there, seeing Judith in that state, knowing she put herself in harm's way to score drugs.

Now, admittedly, it's a little self-indulgent to put those feelings over your girlfriend's need for your support in a terrible time. So he's not perfect. He's just a kid, really, and he is kind of used to wallowing in his misery and hiding from things. After his mom died, he never again had anyone to help him through stuff until Joan.

In this case, his feelings are completely shoved aside. But that's not really Joan's fault. She can't be expected to deal with her friend lying there with her internal organs all swiss cheesed and be sensitve to his pathologies too. Can she?

There's just so much going on in this ep. And all of it is heartbreaking. Not the least of which is seeing Joan and Adam have their perfect date while Judith is freakishly, fatally injured. Harsh. Man, these characters are really put through hell in this ep, aren't they?

I've always been grateful that TPTB didn't decide to take a comedic approach to the date and have something ridiculous and embarrassing happen to Joan. I mean they planted the seed with that story from Helen. Thankfully, what we got instead was a sweetly dignified affair that both of them loved, until events took a dreadful turn.

As for Chris, I like the long hair, this we know. And the hoodies. I even like the toques. The slicked back look didn't work for me in The Gift. I have to overlook it during that incredible scene in the hotel in that ep. But here, I actually thought it worked. Maybe because it was fuller and thicker so you can't really stick it all down. I thought he was just gorgeous on the date. The eyebrows were working overtime, TeeJay! Loved that suit with the fancy cuffs and links and all. He was completely drool-worthy.

So, Deb's rating for the ep:

4 hankies out of 5

For the drool-worthiness of Chris:

4 DDTs out of 5

Deb

PS: TeeJay, I got no writing done tonight because of the computer issues and my determination to see at least one ep. And I can't stay up till after 1am again.

I did reread Grave Admissions and I think it's ready to go except for one question, when did Joan take her pants off so that she would feel the jeans on the backs of her legs? Or is she wearing shorts on the couch? If so, you need to say that. It's going to throw people.

And I posted this question publicly as a tease. I'm sure that a few of our fellow Dorquettes and A/J shippers are sitting there wondering right now how that above paragraph plays out.

wink

TJ TeeJay
(4/12/06 12:46 am)
Reply     Re: Friday Night First of all, I'm really glad you managed to get the DVD ROM working and to play the JoA episodes. Have you checked out the other goodies I put on there? smile I hope POS will behave now. He has to, you depend on him! And I hope you can get better speakers as well. Have you tried fiddling with the built-in Windows volume setting? You know, when you double-click the little speaker symbol in the system tray. I sometimes find that even though the Volume Control is set to maximum, the Wave control isn't. And I kinda have a spare set of speakers too. But with a German plug and 220 V technology. Don't think that's any use to you. I think you can get decent speakers with a separate volume control for not much more than $10 - $15, though. Mine couldn't have been much more expensive (I got them from a friend for free a while back).

I'm so glad you got to see Friday Night. To be quite honest, this episode didn't strike me as all that special in s2. Maybe I need to have another look, I don't think I watched it more than two or three times. At least not the whole thing. And I can't even say why, because I didn't think it was a bad episode. But I sure can say that for me it's not the Jump of the second season. It probably also has to do with the slicked back look. I didn't like it in The Gift and I didn't like it in Friday Night. I like his hair wavy and natural. At least when it's long. I don't mind a bit of gel to make it more messy or a little spiky when it's short. Truth be told, I don't like the hair in the SM Gunshot Wedding pic either. God, I'm so fussy about these things, aren't I? So shoot me. I don't even have a right to be, it's silly. But we're the Dorquettes, so I guess it's part of the deal.

Oooh, the eyebrows are working overtime? Man, I gotta rewatch this episode. I'll put that on the agenda for tonight then. After sports. Nice incentive to strech out on the couch and get immersed in happyland-JoA. Okay, bittersweet happyland.

Deb, don't worry about not getting any writing done. Watching JoA is much more important. I'll comment on the thighs issue in a separate e-mail. I thought I had explained this earlier in the story... I'll have another look when I'm home.

-TeeJay

Edited by: TJ TeeJay at: 4/12/06 12:47 am
TJ TeeJay
(4/12/06 1:55 pm)
Reply     Re: Friday Night I just rewatched this one with Lars. And I still can't say it's my Jump of s2. I did like it, there were some incredibly thoughtful and some incredibly sad moments. I almost cried again at the end (which is not always an indicator of quality, though--I cry over the silliest, kitschiest stuff).

I agree that this episode had so many good moments, I also didn't feel like wanting to fast forward through anything. What I didn't like was that one comedic line they wrote for Adam. When the waiter asks him how he'd like his steak prepared and he says, "In a pan." Come on! It made him look stupid. I think even Adam can be expected to know that you can have rare or medium-rare or well-done steaks. Granted, it made me smile the first time, but now it kinda annoys me. But maybe that's just me being too over-protective of him. I think I've written too many fanfics....

And just to confirm, I don't like the slicked-back look. Not in The Gift and not in Friday Night. The suit was... well... nice, but I kinda prefer the casual look. Natural is comfortable. Indeed, even for Adam. Or should I say: especially for Adam?

And I still have issues with Adam just leaving the hospital, especially after accusing Judith so openly. Wasn't he aware that it might be the last thing he'd ever say to her? Yes, I am trying to understand that what he said to Joan in the end, about not being able to watch another life being thrown away, and I do understand a part of that. Maybe I'm too much trying to root for Joan in this episode. I guess you're right with saying that Adam is too used to wallowing in his own grief, being left alone with his problems. In the end we all go back to what we're used to, don't we?

And watching that last scene there on the Girardi's front porch hit a little close to home for me. That was kinda like what we were the night we heard Carsten died. We didn't camp out on any front porch, but his best friends met at Thorsten's place, just trying to take comfort in each other's presence. And it helped. I didn't feel quite so bad after I got home that night. It was a horrible day for all of us, but it really helps to know you have friends you can rely on, who will help you through tough times when you need them.

I'm still saddened when I think about Carsten, but it doesn't quite hurt that much anymore.

Okay, guys, we need to stop talking about all these depressing things. I wanna go back to happyland too. Maybe I should read the last two chapters again, huh, Deb? wink

-TeeJay

germanjoan
(4/12/06 2:14 pm)
Reply     Re: Friday Night That pan thing made me laugh the first time I saw it but now ... I don't know, I think it's kina lame. I have to agree with TeeJay, it makes him look stupid. Even a sixteen year-old should be able to know what that question means.
Well, maybe he was supposed to be nervous because that was the first "real" date they had. We'll never know.

Quote:
    And I still have issues with Adam just leaving the hospital, especially after accusing Judith so openly. Wasn't he aware that it might be the last thing he'd ever say to her?

Oh yeah, me too. First time I saw it, I was soooo mad at him! But now, after rewatching it several times, I can agree here:

Quote:I guess you're right with saying that Adam is too used to wallowing in his own grief, being left alone with his problems.

(My English doesn't work right today, sorry.)

LuzGrrrl
(4/12/06 4:01 pm)
Reply     Re: Friday Night For the record, "In a pan" doesn't bother me as much as Joan saying "Awesome ordering" in response to it. Uh, what was so awesome about it? I think they were both just too cutesy in that specific moment. But then I don't remember ever going to a restaurant that fancy on a date at 16-17, whatever they're supposed to be mid-S2.

Yes, what Adam said to Judith was harsh. But do you think really thought she'd die? Most kids think of themselves and their peers as invincible. Maybe it didn't occur to him that it might be the last thing he'd ever say to her.

Also, I forgot to mention that I love how Joan shoves him when he turns up at the house. A slap would've been too much. That childish, but painful-looking shove was just perfect.

I'm sorry, I do like the cleaned-up Adam here. I can't really explain it. I'm not into suits at all. And I love him all skater-dude like. But he just looks so damned elegant.

And I cried like a baby at the end. I mean, I was sobbing last night. It hit me really hard. I guess I was just in the right mood.

Deb

TJ TeeJay
(4/13/06 12:39 am)
Reply     Re: Friday Night Okay, I think I got annoyed over the "In a pan" line that I didn't even really notice the "Awesome ordering" line of Joan's. Yeah, now that you say it, it's not such a great line either. Don't like either.

You're right again, Adam probably never thought about that it might be the last thing he'd ever say to Judith. And I'm sure he felt bad about it afterwards, after she died. Hey! This is gapper material! Maybe someone could write a quick, little fic about him talking to Joan about it?

Yes, I love the shoving scene too. In fact, as sad as it is, I the last scene of that ep is what I like best about the whole episode. It's one of the few times we see Grace actually crying. And Friedman was so heart-breakingly devastated. Great acting, by all of them. The shoving scene was what probably inspired me for a scene I wrote in "Old Wounds", plus something Anne and I talked about over Yahoo Messenger a while ago.

You know what I realized last night when I had a quick look at some Chris pics on my hard drive? I said I don't like the slicked-back suit look, right? I may retract that statement for those daydream scenes from Romancing The Joan. The scenes where they are at the gallery and it's first Joan and Adam married and then, later, Stevie and Adam married. I really dig the suit look in those. Maybe it's the red tie, I don't know. I can't explain it.

-TeeJay

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#2 10 Dec 06 :: 07:20

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Re: 2x08 Friday Night

Wow.  Did you guys know that the JoA staff --- cast and crew --- gathered after every show was complete and watched it together before it aired on TV?   I didn't.  I don't think most shows do that.  But so sayeth Jim Hayman and Stephen Nathan on the commentary for Friday Night.  They said everyone was crying halfway though the screening of this one.  Can you imagine the screening of T&E?  Dayum to have been a fly on the wall!  wink

They also talk about the loveliness and innocence of the A/J 'ship in this ep.  And how great Chris and Amber were in every moment of it.  big_smile

Deb

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#3 10 Dec 06 :: 11:10

Susanna
Cute lil' horndog

I loved the Grace/Luke stuff in Friday Night. That was cool.

I thought Adam was really cute in it, that restaurant stuff didn't bother me, just shows how outta place they, and any other 16/17 year olds, are in a fancy restaurant. Probably could've have better lines though.

I don't know if I've said this before but I don't like Judith. I just have this thing that she took screen time away from other characters I already know and love. And she's probably the type of person who just rubs me the wrong way. So maybe this just makes me more on Adam's side than usual but Adam leaving the hospital didn't seem so bad or whatever. Adam's a sensitive guy. The running out the hospital reminds me of s1 Adam, which just makes me more sympathetic with him.

There's some pretty good Adam stuff in it. The Friedman thing at the end was quite sad. Poor Friedman. "Judith's death" in itself didn't upset me, but the characters response to it was kinda teary.

tesig1.jpg

#4 10 Dec 06 :: 11:28

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Sisterdebmac wrote:

Did you guys know that the JoA staff --- cast and crew --- gathered after every show was complete and watched it together before it aired on TV?   I didn't.

I didn't either. Wow, that's kinda cool!
So there is at least a little information in the producer commentaries. I was so mad because they didn't record any cast commentaries. roll

I hugged the Seeker!

#5 10 Dec 06 :: 20:42

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Oh yeah, they also talk a lot about how they gradually made Judith more sympathetic so that you love her by the time she dies and it's really a tough blow.  Guess that didn't work on you, huh, Susanna?  It worked on me.  I was a blubbery idiot the first time I saw this ep and it still tears me up.

Deb

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#6 11 Dec 06 :: 14:59

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

I didn't love Judith as a character, but I grew more attached to her as time (and episodes) progressed. I don't really remember, but I probably cried the first time I watched the episode as well. I didn't like the dating scene in the episode, though. Somehow I thought the dialogue between Adam and Joan was really stale. And I didn't like the slicked back hair on Adam. At all. Hated it in The Gift, didn't like it any better in Friday Night. I know it's not all about looks, but this episode is not one of the outstanding ones for me from season 2. (I know it is for you, though, Deb.)

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#7 11 Dec 06 :: 15:17

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

The slicked back hair is AWFUL!!! In both, The Gift and Friday Night.
I also think, the dating scene is not that great ... I mean the acting is kinda okay but I think 16 year olds know that steaks are prepared in pans ... they could have done something better. It makes Adam look stupid in a way, and I don't like that.

I hugged the Seeker!

#8 11 Dec 06 :: 18:23

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Jim Hayman says in the commentary, "I think that's the first time I saw Chris Marquette with his hair combed."  Well, where were you in Season One dude?

I got over the hair because I love both of those eps so much.  I mean, who really cares what his hair looks like when you've got those wonderfully sweet moments and those beautiful kisses?  I'm as hair-obsessed as anyone else, but I'm not gonna let that ruin two exceptional eps.

And we've talked about the dialog in the date scene in FN.  It was supposed to be all about their innocence, trying to have a fancy, grown-up date.  Yes, it was a bit silly, kind of like the lame dialog in Independence Day, but I can overlook that too because they're just so damn adorable.  And how can you NOT melt, when he says, "You look so pretty, Jane." Kills me every single time.

And the scene at the end, when Joan is so mad at him for leaving the hospital and he just takes her anger, lets her rip, and ends up holding her and comforting her so sweetly.

How can you not love that?

Deb

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#9 12 Dec 06 :: 03:33

Susanna
Cute lil' horndog

And how can you NOT melt, when he says, "You look so pretty, Jane." Kills me every single time.

And the scene at the end, when Joan is so mad at him for leaving the hospital and he just takes her anger, lets her rip, and ends up holding her and comforting her so sweetly.

How can you not love that?

Have to agree. There are some really cool moments in this ep for sure.

tesig1.jpg

#10 12 Dec 06 :: 04:04

R2Roswell

The first time I saw this episode was on the dvd and it was so sweet!

Loved how Joan wanted a kiss while they were at the restaurant and then that story that her mom told her got stuck in her head, so they moved away from the flame.  Ha, loved that scene!

I loved how Adam handled Joan's anger too.  He was really understanding about it which was very cool.

#11 05 Jan 07 :: 06:41

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Here's why I couldn't care less that his hair's slicked back in this ep anymore.  These caps are just beautiful  and loving and sexy and romantic.  :::sigh:::

Wow...
JoA_2x08_072.jpg

Love their hands, the ones they wear their rings on...
JoA_2x08_075.jpg

Deb

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#12 05 Jan 07 :: 11:12

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Yeah, these caps are very beautiful, I love them too.

I hugged the Seeker!

#13 17 Feb 07 :: 20:10

JoA_Lover

I watched this last night; this episode is AMAZING!

They were so cute in the restaurant.  I agree, when Adam said "You look so pretty Jane, beautiful" it was pretty much the swetest thing ever.  She did look gorgeous and so did Adam.

I knew that Judith died before watching the episode, but it was still incredibly sad and tragic.  I didn't like Judith too much either, but I'll miss her on the show.  It was so sad when Joan was getting the hang of juggling, and then all of a sudden, she dies.  And I was mad when Adam left the hospital room.

It was also really sad when Joan was yelling at Adam when everyone was on the porch, but then it was beautiful as he just hugged her.

I agree- every actor was amazing in this episode.  So far, I think it is my favourite episode of season 2.

#14 17 Feb 07 :: 20:20

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Thanks for posting that.  I think it's one of the highlights of S2.  It's just really powerful and painful and ultimately kind of cathartic.  And I must admit, I often get stuck staring at screencaps from the ep because everyone just looked so beautiful in it.

Deb

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#15 17 Feb 07 :: 20:53

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Yeah well, I didn't like that pan thing that much (when the waiter asks Adam how he would like his steak prepared or something like that) because I think a 16yearold does know that steaks are prepared in pans, but I agree that the rest of that ep is just beautiful. I mean, apart from Judith's death of course. For me the scene in the hospital when Adam leaves is the beginning of the end, if you can say so. That's where it started to go wrong between Joan and Adam. At least in my opinion. But apart from that, it's still a beautiful episodes and also one of my favorites.

I hugged the Seeker!

#16 12 Sep 07 :: 04:31

Editsound
Dorque

Okay, I can't judge the attractiveness of the slicked back hair very well, but I really like the slicked back hair in this episode.  I do remember being a teenage boy, and most teenage boys are completely clueless as to what really looks good. So, when I see the slicked back hair, it seems really sweet to me.  He is trying to look his best for her, (and obviously failing), but that only makes it cuter.  If he had actually looked his best, it wouldn't have been so right.

Joan: So, my true nature is to be a catalyst? That is mad anti-climatic.
God: Anti climactic. Anti-climatic means you're against the weather.

#17 12 Sep 07 :: 04:38

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Excellent point, Rick.   smile

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#18 12 Sep 07 :: 04:53

Editsound
Dorque

That is amazing about the cast and crew watching the episodes together.  I have never heard of that before, (except sometimes the season premieres), but that helps explain the high quality of the series, and the amazing attention to detail.  they really cared, that is truelly refreshing.

Joan: So, my true nature is to be a catalyst? That is mad anti-climatic.
God: Anti climactic. Anti-climatic means you're against the weather.

#19 12 Sep 07 :: 05:06

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Yeah, they really did.  And they still do.  It's something they really loved and believed in and it will always hold a special place for them.

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#20 12 Sep 07 :: 06:00

deedee

Im sure if they could they would have random get togethers to watch episodes together.. haha i can picture them doing that in someones livving room. can anyone else tongue

#21 12 Sep 07 :: 19:01

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

I hate the slicked back hair! Everytime I see it, I wanna tell Adam not to do that again!!! roll

I hugged the Seeker!

#22 03 Oct 07 :: 16:57

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

That episode is definitely one of my favorites! Its sad but awesome!!!!!

#23 19 Nov 07 :: 02:09

colorthestars
Website

I just rewatched this episode. This was such a powerful episode. I really can't help but feel sorry for Friedman, somewhere along the way he seemed to have formed some genuine feelings for Judith. I like that it added another side to his character.

As for Judith, I hate that just when she becomes more likeable she dies. I love that she tried to fix all the destruction she caused between Adam and Joan. That one line of hers in the series still bothers me the "Maybe your relationship is based in crisis. You know, like, if you don't have a problem to deal with, you have no real connection". Grr.

Back to Friday Night, Chris is so adorable throughout this episode although I too hate the part where Adam says that he would like his steak prepared in a pan. It made him seem stupid. Their kiss at the end of their date is so sweet. It sucks that they only got to be happy for a short period of time.

When Adam yells at Judith in the hospital, the lecture kind of resembles when Joan yells at him later on in Trial and Error. It's weird that he would yell at someone for doing something stupid then go do something just as stupid later on, it doesn't make sense to me. I do like the lines when he goes to see Joan at her house like the "I know and I don't know why that doesn't matter".

subdefectives.jpg

#24 19 Nov 07 :: 02:57

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

It's weird that he would yell at someone for doing something stupid then go do something just as stupid later on, it doesn't make sense to me.

Think about it for a second.  When he yelled at Judith, had no idea he was going to turn into a stupid jerk just because some girl lays down for him.  I'm sure he never thought he was capable of something like that.  Until it happened.

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#25 19 Nov 07 :: 06:33

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

Friday Night made me sad and Trial And Error made me cry soo hard! I can relate to what happened to Joan a lot. Am I the only one who feels a little bad for Adam though??

Board footer