#1 04 Oct 09 :: 18:59

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

Stargate Universe

How many of us have been watching the Stargate-series?
I'm watching the 1,5 hour pilot of Stargate Universe right now and can't stop wondering how much the guy named "Eli" reminds Sean. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2437382/ He even has the chin and all. Weird.

The show it self looks great. Very action-filled pilot. Lots of good characters. Can't wait for the rest. smile

joa219crysig.jpg

#2 05 Oct 09 :: 10:07

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

Re: Stargate Universe

So I'm all alone with this? yikes You should all check out these series even if you're not a big scifi fan. The original Stargate series SG1 was awesome. At least up until the Ori came along and screwed it up. Stargate Atlantis was great and should have last longer. And this new one really shows promise. And then there are movies... I've seen the original Stargate-movie a few times and it was good. I just saw the movie Stargate continuum and it was great. Very much like the best episodes of Stargate SG1 have been. A lot of twists and turns. Of course it won't make sense unless you've seen the first 8(?) seasons of SG1. I can't bring myself to watch the movie Arc of truth because I just can't stand the damn Ori...

But really; these series get my highest recommendations! big_smile

joa219crysig.jpg

#3 05 Oct 09 :: 10:25

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

I've never watched Stargate, but I hear it's a very good series. Some of our Trekdinner guys are fans. I just don't feel like wanting to delve into another series that already has a gazillion seasons and a spin-off or two. I haven't even finished Babylon 5! Still need to watch the last season.

You're right with the resemblance to Sean, I can also see it just from the photos.

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#4 05 Oct 09 :: 14:01

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

Aah, Babylon 5 big_smile I used to watch that too when I was a teen. I had a geeky boyfriend and everytime it was on TV, we gathered a bag of chips, some Coca Cola and a litre of iceream with bananas crushed and blend in it. And that was our date. lol I don't remember much about that series. Could do a rerun sometime.

Stargate series are very addictive. It's no problem to watch several episodes in a row. I've actually had some dull days and sick days when I've done nothing but watched Stargate. lol I've seen both SG1 and Atlantis 2-3 times. I just started to watch Atlantis again. tongue Does this make me a geek? Also, if you don't have time to watch much TV, the Stargate series are easy to follow even if you catch just one episode every two weeks. It's very easy to remember where the continueus plotline was when I last saw it. I really do recommend. These series seem to have something for every taste. big_smile

joa219crysig.jpg

#5 05 Oct 09 :: 15:31

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

I've seen some SG1 here and there, but never got into it.  I tried to like Atlantis, but just didn't.  I love sci-fi, but I just can't get into any of these new shows.  Don't really know why.

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#6 07 Oct 09 :: 08:22

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

Try SGU. It looks better than the two previous. You don't really need to see the previous ones to get the hang of it. The previoous characters are only visiting and looks like everything essential (stuff about the previous shows that effect this one ie. technical stuff about how the stargate works) is explained. But if you need to have an overview of the previous, here's some.

*SPOILERS*

SG1 was about the begining of the "Stargate programme" in US military. They found a gate and learned that if they put in 7 symbols in the gate, it's an address to another gate somewhere in the galaxy. And there was a lot of gates. US army formed teams to go thru the gate to explore new Worlds to search for new medicines and technical advances and such. They found new enemies, of course. There was the Goa'uld; snakelike-creatures that went inside people's heads and played gods of the egyptian mythology. They slaved people and so on. Very crappy things. SG-teams found new friends too. most cultures they found were formed by humans that the Goa'uld had taken from Earth and planted them to live in some other planets to serve as slaves and what ever they needed. Most of those cultures were hundreds of years behind us. A few were smarter, more advanced. Then they found out there had been four great races in the galaxy, very smart and so on. One of those were Asgards, humanoid-looking things with norse god-names. They were still around and became allies to the SG-people. They also became allies with the good kind of goa'ulds; the kind that shared the human and not just take over it. These one were called Tok'ra. They fought the Goa'uld. Eventually they all teamed up and defeat the snake-heads. One of the four races was "the ancients" that build the gate-system. They were the first evolution in Earth and went out in the galaxy. They were very smart and came up with a lot of stuff. They also learned to accend to higher level of being; they became these hovering light things. haha. Then they left the galaxy about 10 000 years ago or so.
Then they needed a new enemy and ruined the show with these pretend-gods from another galazy, the Ori. Or it was just one "god" and his minions or what not. I don't know. I don't care enough about the Ori. I just always laugh at the name "ori" because in Finnish it means "stallion".

SG-Atlantis was about how the smart antropologist from SG1 Daniel Jackson, found out that if they put 8 sympols instead of 7 in the stargate, they could go to another galaxy. They only had one adress and they really wanted to go find the lost city of Atlantis; now learned to be an ancient ship/city. The history drawings told that the ancients left the galaxy to hide from the Goa'uld. So a new big team is formed to send thru the gate, to Pegasus-galaxy; in hopes of finding the ancients and learning more of them. Of course the city was empty. Ancients long gone. And the team hasn't got enough power to gate back to our own galaxy. They found a new enemy there, of course. This time it wasn't anyone playing god. Just these albino-monsters that suck the life our of people called Wraith. They evolved from a space bug. So of course the humans have to be the knights in shiniy armors and try to save all, since they woke up all the damn hive-ships filled with these things. There's humans in this galaxy too, very low-tech again. There's a smaller team formed that goes out the gate to the worlds in this galaxy to learn about new cultures and find medicines and ancient techonology and stuff. All the mean while fighting the Wraith when needed because those damn things are everywhere. They tried to cure the Wraith by making them human but didn't quite work out. Eventually there was these big show downs in the end of every season. Or more annoyingly; the beginning of the big fight in the last ep; the end in the begining of the next season. You could get the hang of this serie just by watching the first and last ep of every season.

There's something from the top of my mind. I'm sure some geek would explain it better, but I tried to just remember the essentials. I could try to explain better if you have any questions.

joa219crysig.jpg

Board footer