#1 01 Feb 10 :: 01:56

therealshell
Fanboy
Website

Netflix online ....

The other day, I was bored so I watched FOUR movies via Netflix "streaming" video.

"Food, Inc." is quite depressing and almost makes one want to become a vegetarian. There are a few scenes of animal abuse that are very disturbing.

"Combat Shock" is also very disturbing; a look at an unemployable Vietnam vet and how he can't cope with living in a really ghastly looking New York, circa 1986. It was actually made in 1986, and is a quite ghastly piece of work. Avoid it.

"The Gits Movie" is a documentary about the band called the Gits (I had never heard of 'em prior to watching this) and the horrific rape/murder of their lead singer. Depressing, but worth a look.

"Special" is a very strange little film about an oddball guy who thinks that he's a superhero. Also worth a look.

I would have to say that staring at a computer for close to six hours is probably not good for the eyes.

At a certain part in your life. Probably when too much of it has gone by. You will open your eyes and see yourself for who you are. Especially for everything that made you so different from all the awful normals.

#2 01 Feb 10 :: 06:57

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

Re: Netflix online ....

My parents watched Food Inc. from Netflix recently..
Netflix is great! There's a lot of independent movies on Netflix you can't find in regular video stores.

#3 30 Dec 10 :: 08:20

EOcean214
Dorquette

I thought I'd bring this one back because I've been watching tons of netflix during the break.  I relived watching "The Reader" which was fabulous from beginning to end, and now I'm off to watching "Brideshead Revisited." I was into time period movies this week apparently.  I'm also in the process of watching Gossip Girl which is my guilty pleasure show to watch at the end of a long work week! Its actually quite good.

Lindsey

#4 30 Dec 10 :: 11:52

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

The Reader is the one with Kate Winslet, right? I saw that in the theater as well, and I thought it was a good movie. I still remember the teenies in the row behind me giggling at the full frontal nudity shot of David Kross. wink

I myself saw part 3 of the Chronicles of Narnia in the theater two days ago. Unfortunately, it was the dubbed into German version (wasn't shown in 2D in English anywhere around here), which kinda ruined it for me. And it proved again that I need to stay away from dubbed movies. The dialogues just sounded so trite and fake. I'm sure it would have been so much more eloquent in English. I probably should have waited for the Blu-ray. Or gone to see the 3D version in English.

Home theater-wise, the other day I felt like digging out the extended edition of Lord of the Rings again. I watched part 1, and I'm planning on tackling the other two as well some time in the near future. Always an inspiring movie, and such beautiful cinematography. As I already posted elsewhere, I've also rewatched Flight Plan. On Boxing Day I dug out another old favorite of mine: About a Boy. And I realized that Natalia Tena (Tonks from Harry Potter) was in it.

I also just finished reading the novel that the TV show FlashForward was based on. It's called (surprise!) Flashforward. And I enjoyed it a lot. It's nowhere near as complex as the TV show, and the only character that's in both is Lloyd Simcoe. But Demitri was based on the character Theo, who didn't have a vision because he was going to be dead in the future. The whole FBI part was invented by the TV show creators. The novel really is only about the scientists who conducted the experiment that caused the flashforward. Interestingly, in the novel they flashforward some 20 odd years. And it plays in Geneva.

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#5 30 Dec 10 :: 15:15

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

TeeJay wrote:

Or gone to see the 3D version in English.

That's what I did even though I can't see 3D, but I'd rather watch 3D than endure a stupid dubbing. I can still read it in German sometime. Oh, and I'll start reading the books next year. I should have done that ages ago.

I hugged the Seeker!

#6 30 Dec 10 :: 16:15

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

I've been kinda slack with my Netflix lately, but I did watch a bunch of movies on cable over the Thanksgiving break.  The last Netflix thing I watched was Who Is Harry Nilsson & Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him?  It instantly became my favorite film of 2010.  Nilsson, for those of you who don't know, was a singer/songwriter who came up in the mid-60's and became very popular in the early 70's.  He had the voice of an angel and the wit of a devil.  He was a friend and contemporary of the Beatles.  He and John Lennon even made a record together.  I've been a fan of his since I bought Son of Schmilsson in about 1978.  As music documentaries go, this one is wildly entertaining and very insightful.

I think the next thing I have coming, when I can finally send the Harry doc back, will be Agora.  I've been curious about it ever since Chris Knowles mentioned it on The Secret Sun.  Then Anne Rice fell in love with it and recommended it on her Facebook page.  And I noticed it was on a couple of Best of 2010 lists.  Looking forward to that one.  Anyone heard of it?

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#7 03 Jan 11 :: 03:05

EOcean214
Dorquette

Teejay: you've been busy watching movies. I turned on Lord of the Rings, extended versions myself not too long ago. They are incrediblly inspirational.  I've always been a Kate Winslet fan, but her performance in The Reader is just amazing.  She won an oscar for her role.  I liked David Kross too, I want to see Krabat.  Netflix has given it great stars for me.

Deb: interesting recommendations.  I haven't heard of the Secret Sun. Have to check into it.

I'm still escaping back into the 18th century.  Loved watching Brideshead Revisited again.  There were so many issues that I missed the first time so i'm glad I watched it again.  I have 'Wings of the Dove' comming in next.  I've never seen it before but netflix suggested it based on my last rentals.  I love that about netflix, that they recommend movies based on your ratings.

Lindsey

#8 03 Jan 11 :: 03:14

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

The Secret Sun is a blog about mythology, sci-fi, esoterica and pop culture.  It's a lot of fun.   http://secretsun.blogspot.com/

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#9 03 Jan 11 :: 09:30

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

EOcean214 wrote:

Teejay: you've been busy watching movies. I turned on Lord of the Rings, extended versions myself not too long ago. They are incrediblly inspirational.  I've always been a Kate Winslet fan, but her performance in The Reader is just amazing.  She won an oscar for her role.  I liked David Kross too, I want to see Krabat.  Netflix has given it great stars for me.

I saw Krabat in theaters. You do know it's a German movie, right? I liked it (very dark), but it wasn't the best movie I've ever seen. Hope you enjoy it!

Two days ago, I finally also checked out some of the specials on the Avatar extended Blu-ray. I can't believe I waited a month. The deleted scenes are behind the scenes stuff is excellent.

I just remembered that we also watched two movies on DVD when I was in the UK. In Bruges and Kingdom of Heaven. I loved both. And I can't believe I didn't notice Ed Norton's voice enough to figure out it was him underneath the mask in the latter.

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#10 03 Jan 11 :: 22:52

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

I can't believe I still have to see The Reader. That's one of the movies I wanted to see so badly and then just never got the chance to do so. But I WILL watch it soon!

I hugged the Seeker!

#11 30 Jan 11 :: 23:03

EOcean214
Dorquette

I just got into Monk Season 1 on netflix. I love it. Sad I never watched it when it was on tv.  Can't wait to watch the rest of the series! Tony Shaloub is just great!

Lindsey

#12 30 Jan 11 :: 23:22

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

And he's in The Tic Code!

I hugged the Seeker!

#13 01 Feb 11 :: 02:20

EOcean214
Dorquette

That's right! I still need to watch that. Another thing to put on my netflix list. I just added "The Wiz." Its the african american version of "The Wizard of Oz," with Michael Jackson.  Teachers want to watch it for Black History Month.  Netflix gave it one star for me, I just think that there could be more appropriate movies to watch at this time. I understand that the kids like Michael Jackson and relate to him, I just feel like there should be a movie more about a historical figure.  Anybody seen it or heard of it?

Lindsey

#14 12 Feb 11 :: 04:15

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

Im sometimes vegan and all other times vegetarian. I had to watch Food Inc. for P.E. last semester in college.

#15 20 Feb 11 :: 18:12

EOcean214
Dorquette

I can't watch those type of shows. Makes me too self conscious when I go to places.  Although to be off topic I am giving up meat for lent. We'll see how that goes!

I had a couple of netflix videos I had to send back because there just wasn't time to watch them. I downgraded to one at a time.  I think I have Anatomy of a Murder comming next. I've watched a lot of online 'Kipper the dog' and 'Dora' with my kindergartners during carpool.  One advantage to netflix streaming smile

Lindsey

#16 26 Feb 11 :: 08:06

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

Ive been watching two new shows and I barely watch any new shows anymore.
Ive been watching Glee and Kids Of Degrassi Street. I am officially addicted to Glee. Degrassi Street is kinda weird though. Very old school Degrassi. Some of the characters from Degrassi Junior High are in the show and have different names. It all takes place when the cast is in elementary school.

#17 19 May 11 :: 03:49

EOcean214
Dorquette

I just watched Because of Winn Dixie with my students today (we read the book).  It's a really sweet story and reads pretty close to the book.  We read that and Tiger Rising (by the same author) and did a text to text comparison.  They enjoyed it.   I rated it high on netflix since they liked it so much.  If you have kids it would be a good one to watch.  Good moral themes.

Lindsey

#18 19 May 11 :: 05:26

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

I like that movie a lot.  The dog is fantastic. I even liked Dave Matthews. smile

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#19 26 May 11 :: 01:45

EOcean214
Dorquette

GLad you liked it too Deb.  I didn't recognize that as Dave Matthews!  He was perfect for that part. All the characters were great and true to the book.  I love Kate Dicamillo, always has good messages in her books.

Now, I have the Duchess, haven't watched it yet. But looking forward to it.  Debating on what tv series to put on there next...

Lindsey

#20 29 May 11 :: 05:31

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

Netflix has really made me angry recently and last year. I had a cracked dvd sent last year and got the movie sent back a scratched copy but watched it and hated the movie. Anyways the other day I get Pirates 2 and its cracked. I lodge a complaint sending a note back the day after and say I should be getting a playable copy back and possibly Pirates 3 at the same time for the inconvenience. So what happens? Pirates 3 comes. Thanks geniuses I havent seen 2 but I'll just watch 3! And right before I got Pirates 2 I sent back a dvd last Friday and always get one back Monday but no it didnt come until Wednesday! It really makes me annoyed...

#21 18 Sep 11 :: 19:41

EOcean214
Dorquette

I've been on a Jason Segel trip recently.  I watched 'I Love You,Man' with Paul Rudd.  It was pretty good.  I liked the plot of the story actually but seemed to end rather quickly.

Lindsey

#22 19 Sep 11 :: 03:20

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

I love that movie Love You Man!
I have a lot on my Netflix. Its great they are making so many more things instant. Ive been watching Gossip Girl season 1 lately and a lot of instant documentaries like Aileen Wuornos documentaries, and the show Hidden Palms.

#23 31 Oct 11 :: 03:18

EOcean214
Dorquette

So I have 'Frozen River' from netflix.  Has anyone watched it?  I haven't yet.  I hear its really good but for some odd reason I can't get motivated to watch it because I hear it is a little slow.

Lindsey

#24 03 Nov 11 :: 02:17

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

I mainly watch horror movies now on Netflix. Im watching 1970 Wizard Of Gore right now and getting remake soon. So messed up this movie!

#25 12 Nov 11 :: 06:58

EOcean214
Dorquette

I fell out of the horror film boat, I use to watch a lot of tv on dvd through netflix but switched to movies.

BTW, Frozen River is excellent.  Moves slowly, but worth your time! wink

Lindsey

Board footer