#1 30 Oct 06 :: 13:50

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

How do you know someone is a good actor?

This is something I've been pondering while brushing my teeth this morning. Yeah, I know, strange thing to think about, but anyway... I think you recognize a good actor that when you see him in a lot of different roles, you always see the role and not the actor or another role he did in the past in whatever he or she is doing. I could name lots of cases that demonstrate that. Most recently for me: Edward Norton. I haven't seen that many movies with him in it, but he's impressed me in every one of them. Those that come to mind are Primal Fear, Fight Club and American History X. He was a totally different character in each of them. And he was believable to me in every one of those roles, each time as a different guy.

I can say the same thing about Chris. When I see Just Friends or American Gun or JoA, he's never the same guy to me. Sure, David is a lot like Adam in certain ways, more than David or Adam are like Mike, but they are never the same guy. They are separate entities. And that's what makes a good actor, I think. With Chris it's still different because we've met and experienced him as a person (albeit only for a short time), but on the screen he is still the guy he wants us to see. That hasn't changed since I met him. Which is great. I have met another favorite actor of mine, a German guy, Martin Lindow. And for some reason I kept seeing more of the person when I saw him on screen than the character after I'm met and talked to him. Wonder if that means he's less of a good actor. But it's probably the fact that I know him way better than Chris. I've met him several times, talked him for an hour or two every time. He's a really nice and down to earth guy, just like Chris. Of course it helped that we used to live in the same city and could meet up easily for a quick chat every few months.

I wonder if that would happen if I knew Chris better, that the person and the character would mingle more (which wouldn't be good, from my point of view). I know most of you can't speak from experience because you probably don't know any actors in person. But I do wonder if this is just my twisted mind working in mysterious ways or if other people have had the same experience. Deb, do you see Chris any different on screen now?

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#2 30 Oct 06 :: 17:39

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Re: How do you know someone is a good actor?

Oddly, except for a clip here and there, I really haven't seen much of him onscreen since we met him.  I'm not sure what's holding me back.  I've kind of been wondering if it would alter my perception of him in any way.  I need to test that theory.  Well, I did see a Strong Med ep last weekend but it was older one so it really doesn't count.  Gotta go home and watch something!

Deb

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#3 30 Oct 06 :: 18:56

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Speaking of Martin Lindow, he's on TV tonight, I thought you may like to know this, Tina.

Well, I can't speak of own experience because I never met any celebrities, but I like what you said about Chris and I also like actors who are able to play different characters. I mean, there are more actors I like than only Chris, but he's my favorite of course. big_smile

I hugged the Seeker!

#4 30 Oct 06 :: 20:06

shrams

I agree that's one sign of a good actor, when he's so different in various roles that you might not recognize him if you didn't see his name.  Another one who fits into that category is Cillian Murphy.  I've never met him, but everything he's said in various interviews indicates that he wants to be known as an actor, not a celebrity.  He doesn't want to entertain people as himself, but rather as characters he plays.  But he's another one with some really rabid fans who would rather talk about his looks than his acting.

I met Scott Bakula, and he was very nice, down-to-earth, and appreciative of his fans.  I think he's got a lot more talent than we've seeing.  He was terrific on Quantum Leap, and showed quite a range, but ever since then he's been stuck in forgettable roles.

I'm glad Chris is working as much as he is, because it's giving him more of a chance to become known and respected in the industry.

#5 30 Oct 06 :: 21:30

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Oh yeah, Scott Bakula is totally underappreciated.  And if anyone ever said anything derogatory about his acting, I'd definitely point them to QL.  He got to play things on that show that no other actor has ever done before or since.

Deb

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#6 10 Aug 07 :: 08:08

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

Chris Marquette is the best actor to me, hands down. :drool:

#7 11 Aug 07 :: 05:21

herrommance
Website

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan wrote:

Chris Marquette is the best actor to me, hands down. :drool:

yeah...but how do you know?...:/

"Nobody calls Han Solo a dirtbag!"

Board footer