#301 20 Mar 08 :: 05:40

Susanna
Cute lil' horndog

Re: Graduation

I love Chris' expression on that cover/poster. Very cute. And the way his name and face is actually kinda in the centre. Finally.

tesig1.jpg

#302 20 Mar 08 :: 07:58

Illinoisguy1
Banned

Here is another cap of that ad.
graduation4.jpg
(OK that didn't turn out to well, I wanted to point out the UPC# below the cover and the note that 'Key Art, Special Features and Marketing Support subject to change' in the lower right corner.)

In case anyone wants the UPC# - it is #876964001342

Info from Home Media Magazine March 9-15 issue.

Art from dvdempire.com
1398620h.jpg

Last edited by Illinoisguy1 (20 Mar 08 :: 08:06)

#303 20 Mar 08 :: 15:20

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Awesome.  Thanks, Illinois!  I kinda hope they keep this cover.  Unless they wanna put an even prettier Chris & Chris pic on it.  big_smile

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#304 20 Mar 08 :: 17:54

Donna

I love the pic of Chris LOVE IT but I am still not a fan of this cover, all the swat guys and stuff I find too distracting. Some shots of the cast together would have been better I think. It looks to comic-bookish.

#305 20 Mar 08 :: 17:58

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Yeah, but I guess they had to put something on there for people (idiots) whoe are not fans of the cast.

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#306 20 Mar 08 :: 18:30

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Brian Ralston wrote:

That promotional one sheet is a little old though.  The tag line is different in the final.  So....not sure where TeeJay got this one.

I think it's off the North by Northwest Entertainment website, so it's not like it was bogus or I came up with it myself...
http://www.nxnwmoviesales.net/titles/graduation.html

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#307 20 Mar 08 :: 18:43

Donna

I think it makes the movie look cheap. Like a staight-to-dvd steven segall crap or something. The only good thing about it is how hot Chris looks. Ya I know it is a stright to DVD release, but it doesn't have to look like it.

#308 20 Mar 08 :: 18:49

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Yeah, that's a good point.  But at least it's not as bad as the movie formerly known as The Beautiful Ordinary's DVD art will probably be.  Just wait, it'll be a cheesy rip-off of Dazed & Confused.

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#309 20 Mar 08 :: 19:17

Brian Ralston

Marketing a DVD (and its subsequent artwork) is very different than marketing a theatrical release film and designing its poster.  It is why DVD covers are almost always redone now and are never the same as the theatrical poster any more.  There is a big difference in the marketing strategies used to get a person to buy a DVD sitting on a shelf, compared to getting a person to spend between $10 and $14 dollars on a ticket to see a film in a theatre.  When a film is picked up for distribution, there has to be a clear marketing strategy in place on how the film is going to be positioned and sold to consumers.  In this case, Magnolia seems to definitely be playing up the 'heist' angle of the film and not really the '4 high school kids coming of age and graduating' aspect of the film. 

I would venture to bet that most folks here are coming from a position where they just want to see Chris in a film which shows off his acting talents in a good light, etc...Magnolia is coming from a position of wanting to sell as many copies of the film to as many people as possible.  So...everything about their marketing is going to be focused around that premise, including the artwork design and trailer, web presence, etc...

And on top of all of that, you all are only seeing the DVD release part of the entire equation here...which is kind of putting the cart before the horse.

#310 20 Mar 08 :: 20:06

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

I don't like that cover very much but at least that poster shows a pic of Chris. I mean, it's a Chris movie, so finally he's on the cover.

I hugged the Seeker!

#311 20 Mar 08 :: 20:08

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

But, Brian, there is no horse.  The DVD is all we've got in this case.  We have nothing to compare it to.  Actually, speaking for myself, it goes beyond wanting to see something that shows off Chris's talent.  I happen to like the grown up actors in the movie too.  And I just want to see a good story.  From the very beginning this sounded like it was going to be one.  It's kind of a shame that Magnolia thinks they have to "play up" the cheesiest possible angle on the whole thing.  Betcha dollars to donuts they sell more copies to the young fans of Chris & Chris and Riley who've been waiting years to see it than they ever will to a bunch of action movie fans who've never heard of it.

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#312 20 Mar 08 :: 20:52

Brian Ralston

First of all...did you check your email Deb?

Sisterdebmac wrote:

But, Brian, there is no horse.  The DVD is all we've got in this case.  We have nothing to compare it to.  Actually, speaking for myself, it goes beyond wanting to see something that shows off Chris's talent.  I happen to like the grown up actors in the movie too.  And I just want to see a good story.  From the very beginning this sounded like it was going to be one.

It is a great story.  One I am VERY proud of having a musical contribution to. 

Sisterdebmac wrote:

It's kind of a shame that Magnolia thinks they have to "play up" the cheesiest possible angle on the whole thing.

I think Magnolia has a very good strategy from what little I have learned so far.  The film is in the right hands in my personal opinion.  Time will tell if it has worked out...but Magnolia has been great from my very limited perspective on them. 

Sisterdebmac wrote:

Betcha dollars to donuts they sell more copies to the young fans of Chris & Chris and Riley who've been waiting years to see it than they ever will to a bunch of action movie fans who've never heard of it.

Over the long haul...the numbers don't support that.  The fans are EXTREMELY important of course.  Don't get me wrong.  But the marketplace is very diverse.  It won't survive on those core fans alone.  They have to get people who know nothing about them to want to buy it too.  And hopefully make new fans out of them.  A lot of Chris & Chris fans...and Riley and Shannon, etc...will of course buy it the day it gets released anyway and that is great and what the film needs.  But 2-10 years from now???  It can not just be marketed to only those fans.  Of course, if any of their film careers really take off (which could happen with any one of their films)...GRADUATION becomes more valuable.

Last edited by Brian Ralston (20 Mar 08 :: 20:58)

#313 20 Mar 08 :: 21:00

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

I can't check my email right now.  I'm at work.  I will when I get home.  But isn't it also true that most "other" people (non-fans) will only rent the movie at Blockbuster on Friday or Saturday night, while the fans will all buy it?

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#314 21 Mar 08 :: 03:38

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

Sisterdebmac wrote:

But isn't it also true that most "other" people (non-fans) will only rent the movie at Blockbuster on Friday or Saturday night, while the fans will all buy it?

How could anyone not buy a Chris movie? I always buy his movies or shows right away without even having to see them on tv or in theatres 1st.

#315 21 Mar 08 :: 10:33

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Of course I had to pre-order this one too. Not as cheap as Remember The Daze, but, well... Gotta have all of Chris's movies on original DVD. smile

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."

#316 21 Mar 08 :: 13:41

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Aaaaah, Tina I recognized your plan! You blackened out the number of DVDs you ordered! tongue

I hugged the Seeker!

#317 21 Mar 08 :: 13:48

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Huh? No, sorry, gotta disappoint you this time. I only ordered one each.

-TeeJay

#318 21 Mar 08 :: 14:01

magicalturkey
Website

It does say at the bottom '1x15,99=' wink

LifeSucks.jpg

#319 21 Mar 08 :: 14:02

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

But why is that thingy blackened out then? And no worries, I am not disappointed, I already planned to buy the DVDs with my own money. You don't have to play sugar-mommy for me anymore. wink

I hugged the Seeker!

#320 21 Mar 08 :: 14:09

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

I blackened out the order number and my address and stuff that I wouldn't wanna share with the whole WWW. smile

-TeeJay

#321 21 Mar 08 :: 14:11

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Well, I only saw that "orders" sign, but not the address, so I thought you bought more than one. And I have to find out where to order it without the need of a credit card.

I hugged the Seeker!

#322 21 Mar 08 :: 14:16

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Samsy-Marie wrote:

Well, I only saw that "orders" sign, but not the address, so I thought you bought more than one.

Duh. I blacked out the address.

Axelmusic.com also does PayPal (or so it says), but strangely enough I couldn't choose it as a payment method. Maybe you should look into that. You don't need a credit card for PayPal.

-TeeJay

#323 26 Mar 08 :: 04:25

justme
Supreme Dorquette

My friend works at Dobie Mall Theater in Austin and she sends me listings of upcoming movies that are playing there.  Today she sent me this link:

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Films/f … p?id=60787

Is that THE "Graduation"?  I thought it was going straight to DVD.

Last edited by justme (26 Mar 08 :: 04:38)

#324 26 Mar 08 :: 04:28

magicalturkey
Website

I doesn't give much info on it, other than the "release" year and stuff.  Who knows.

LifeSucks.jpg

#325 26 Mar 08 :: 04:45

justme
Supreme Dorquette

Shannon Lucio is in it.  I think it might be it!

Board footer