#1 17 Oct 08 :: 14:17

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

Does those (US) Region 1-DVD's work on computers?

Bugs me big time to see that Region 1-marking in every good dvd I find on these international webstores. I'm pretty sure they don't work in our DVD-player.

joa219crysig.jpg

#2 17 Oct 08 :: 15:03

Illinoisguy1
Banned

Re: Does those (US) Region 1-DVD's work on computers?

I don't know.

But I did a google search and this is the first site listed.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index … 311AAgGTOS

DVD drives in PCs generally have the same region coding support as DVD players do. Older drives may not have this enforced, but current ones usually do. However, most drives can be switched to a different region, but only for a limited number of times before it's locked in. And some drives can be hacked to ignore the region code entirely.

The rest of the answer is at the link.

#3 17 Oct 08 :: 16:00

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

I think you can change the region code of your computer, but you can only do that a few times. I don't know exactly. I have a program that helps me playing other region code DVDs.

I hugged the Seeker!

#4 17 Oct 08 :: 16:09

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Usually, PC DVD ROM drives let you change the region code five times. The region code will be permanently set to the DVD you put in the last time you're allowed to make a change. However, there are softwares out there that override or block this restriction. I think the newer versions of AnyDVD do that, and I know of a software called DVD Region + CSS Free that does it too. Not sure if it's legal to use these.

With regard to standalone DVD players, most are preset to your region code. However, a lot of models you can make codefree by pressing a combination of buttons on the remote control. Try to google your DVD player model number and the word "codefree". You might be able to find instructions online how to make the player codefree. Be aware that this may void the warranty of your player.

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#5 17 Oct 08 :: 18:15

Simon
Dorque

I have DVD XPlayer installed on the pc which you can get a trail version free off the net. This plays every region and doesn't have a limit on changes. It also allows you to take screen captures and video captures. It might have some problems however as mine goes dark everytime a dvd is playing but that might just be mine.

Current Member. Future Star. :silly:

Ever wanted to see Chris as a Chippendale? Today is your lucky day;
http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/ZcTzI7ylqCg2Xfsq
:youdaman:  :grovel:
R.I.P. Hazel. Life has lost something special now.

#6 17 Oct 08 :: 22:29

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

big_smile Thanks a lot guys. Nice to know all this.

joa219crysig.jpg

Board footer