#1 08 Jan 09 :: 23:15

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Need help with mood prompts

Those familiar with fanfic communities on LiveJournal might know what I'm talking about, but for those who aren't, I'll quickly explain. On LJ there are communities that offer so-called fanfic challenges. You need to sign up and "claim" a pairing or TV show that you wanna write about. And then you need to write your fanfic(s) within the framework of the challenge.

Usually you sign up to write a certain number of fics and there's also a general theme attached. You get "prompts", which are words or expressions that are supposed to trigger your inspiration. Your fic you write for a prompt should have to do with that prompt in some way. So if the prompt is, for instance, "orange", there should be something to do with orange or something orange colored in your story. (Laura, please correct me if I'm wrong, you've been at this a lot longer.)

I haven't officially signed up for any challenges, but a while ago I took the "Alpha Beta Soup" challenge and started writing for it on my own. I'm done with half of the alphabet now, but I could use some help with those prompts that are left:

D is for Disappointed
F is for Frustrated
G is for Grateful
H is for Hurt
L is for Lethargic
N is for Nostalgic
O is for Optimistic
P is for Pensive
R is for Relaxed
U is for Uncomfortable
W is for Worried
Y is for Yielding
Z is for Zealous

Does anyone have any ideas for situations fitting with these prompts? My personal framework is Adam, plain and simple. Adam has to be in the story, that's it. (Freaky! Adam's Song by Blink 182 just came up on random as I type!) Though I have to say I enjoy writing Adam & Joan and Adam & Grace most. But of course any other character can be there too if it fits the situation.

It can also be any Joaniverse. It can take place during the TV show, earlier or later than that. I can be something playing in the Butterflies Joaniverse or something in an alternate universe altogether. The character age doesn't matter either.

So, guys, if you have an idea for a story or a situation for any of the prompts, let me know and I'll see if I can actually write it. (I ask to reserve the right to decline too.) So, please post away. smile

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#2 09 Jan 09 :: 00:36

magicalturkey
Website

Re: Need help with mood prompts

You got the basic thing about the prompts right... some of them are a little more open than others, like blue you can do the color or someone feeling kinda blue.

Here's my help on the prompts:
Disappointed- Adam being disappointed in himself for well... everything
Frustrated- Adam gets frustrated with Grace's attitude and finally stands up for himself
Grateful- Grace after Elizabeth's death
Hurt- really?  You need help with this one?  There's a lot I can think of.  Him getting beat up would be the most original, I think.
Lethargic- Adam just kinda lays around after Elizabeth's death or his break up with Joan (that's what lethargic means, right?  Just a fancy word for lazy?)
Nostalgic- Adam graduates high school and looks back on the good and the bad
Optimistic- Adam proposes to Joan?  Lame, I know... but he's not exactly an optimist.  Or Grace joking with him about how he's an "incurable optimist"?
Pensive- Adam thinks?  Pre-Joan, when it was a struggle for him
Relaxed- Joan.  Relaxes him.  Yes.
Uncomfortable- Adam and Helen in Art class for the first time after the break up
Worried- Joan's in the hospital during her pregnancy with their first child
Yielding- Adam learns to drive?  And doesn't understand the yield sign?
Zealous- ADAM'S A DADDY!

LifeSucks.jpg

#3 09 Jan 09 :: 05:42

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette

Great prompt ideas, Laura!

I met Marilyn Manson/Twiggy Ramirez 10/25/12! & Twiggy 2/9/14
Mel.jpg 2ylsbih.jpg
I met Otep and One Eyed Doll 8/30/12, Kathleen Hanna 10/30/11 Lacuna Coil 4.24 mars 9.27 miw 11.6

#4 09 Jan 09 :: 19:21

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

magicalturkey wrote:

Here's my help on the prompts:
Disappointed- Adam being disappointed in himself for well... everything
Frustrated- Adam gets frustrated with Grace's attitude and finally stands up for himself
Grateful- Grace after Elizabeth's death
Hurt- really?  You need help with this one?  There's a lot I can think of.  Him getting beat up would be the most original, I think.
Lethargic- Adam just kinda lays around after Elizabeth's death or his break up with Joan (that's what lethargic means, right?  Just a fancy word for lazy?)
Nostalgic- Adam graduates high school and looks back on the good and the bad
Optimistic- Adam proposes to Joan?  Lame, I know... but he's not exactly an optimist.  Or Grace joking with him about how he's an "incurable optimist"?
Pensive- Adam thinks?  Pre-Joan, when it was a struggle for him
Relaxed- Joan.  Relaxes him.  Yes.
Uncomfortable- Adam and Helen in Art class for the first time after the break up
Worried- Joan's in the hospital during her pregnancy with their first child
Yielding- Adam learns to drive?  And doesn't understand the yield sign?
Zealous- ADAM'S A DADDY!

Thanks so much, Laura. I'm not sure all of them struck a chord with me, but I love your ideas for lethargic (to me it means someone is listless with no energy and doesn't feel like doing anything), pensive, uncomfortable and yielding (LOL). I'm not a big fan of writing Joan being pregnant or them having baby- or toddler-age kids (although I understand that that outcome is inevitable in most Joaniverses).

What I don't understand, though... Why would you associate Grateful with Elizabeth's death?

Hope I can actually write some more of these soon. I wanna get them all out there, but I swore to myself I wouldn't publish them before I had the whole alphabet covered.

And I'm sure I'll come up with something for the Hurt prompt. After all, angst and substitute agony are my specialties, right? wink

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."

#5 09 Jan 09 :: 22:10

magicalturkey
Website

I meant Grace being there for him after Elizabeth dies.  Words get lost in the black hole that is my head sometimes.:doh:

LifeSucks.jpg

#6 09 Jan 09 :: 23:00

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

LOL. Don't worry about it. I'm just finishing up with the G for Grateful prompt. And it's kinda about Elizabeth's death, but not really. You'll see in time. smile

-TeeJay

#7 11 Jan 09 :: 01:47

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Update, I just wrote the Zealous prompt. I did some heavy projecting, but in a good (and harmless) way. tongue

-TeeJay

Board footer