#1 12 Sep 09 :: 23:25

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Whatshername - A Future Butterflies fic by Sisterdebmac

Whatshername
a Future Butterflies fic
by Sisterdebmac

Deb's Author's Note:   Just popped into my very relaxed head.  Thanks to Carol for the BETA.

Synopsis:  Joan shares a very special day with Grace.

Rating: PG

Genre:  Drama.  Friends.

Disclaimer: They're not ours... blah blah blah. Barbara Hall... blah blah blah. CBS... blah blah blah.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We met in the cafe at the co-op where I worked when I was in college."

"That funky little grocery store with the smoothie bar where I came to see you that time?"

"It was a vegan cafe, not a smoothie bar."

"Oh.  Well, I only ever had a smoothie there."

"See how you've turned even this around and made it about you?"

"Sorry, sorry.  Back to Grace and Karen's meet-cute."

"That's a really bad habit, Girardi."

"I said I'm sorry, stop stalling and get on with your story..."

"I was on my break and I was in the cafe having a cup of tea and a sandwich, reading a book.  And she came in and went to the counter.  What I didn't notice was that Jessica, the ditz who worked the counter had disappeared.  So I'm sitting there reading and I glance up and there's this woman looking at me.  Not in a weird way.  She just smiled.  So I smiled back and went back to reading my book. Then, when I glance up again, she's looking at me again and smiling...  So I smile back again.  It's weird, but I'm starting to think she's flirting with me."

"Oh, really?"

Grace nodded a bit sheepishly.  "So she smiles again and finally she says, 'You know, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but I only get 45 minutes for lunch and I just wanted to get a sandwich and an iced tea.'"  Grace slapped her head.  "And I finally notice that Jessica's gone.  And I realize that I'm wearing my store smock and this very sweet woman obviously thinks my ass is supposed to be behind the counter making her sandwich."

"No way!"  Joan giggled and Grace joined her.

"Seriously, how nice does a person have to be to not get flamingly pissed off in that situation?  So I told her I was on break from stocking shelves in the grocery store and I was so sorry.  And... I made her a sandwich and an iced tea.  She had to tell me how, but..."

They laughed again.  "She was just really cool, you know how she is," Grace shrugged with a grin.

Joan nodded.  "I know."

"Turns out she ate lunch there at least two or three times a week, so when she came back in, I took my break and we sat and talked for a while, hit it off, exchanged email addresses.  And here we are."

"That's great.  What happened to Jessica?"

"Jessica?  Oh, I found her crying in the bathroom.  Her boyfriend called her and picked a fight with her and she broke up with him.  Again.  Girl was a total flake.  And beside the point."

"I know, I know, the point, Grace, is that you guys have been together for six years and you never told me this story before.  If I'm gonna be your daughter's godmother, I'd really like to know these things."

"You're making it about you again?" Grace flashed her a snarky grin again, but with real warmth in her eyes.

"You know everything about Adam and me."

"A little too much, yeah.  But not everything, thank God."

"Thank you.  For sharing that with me,"  Joan smiled at her friend, grazing her shoulder with the back of her hand as they looked toward the elevators, waiting for her new family to appear.

Finally, a nurse wheeled out the love of Grace Polk's life, sitting there, holding their newborn daughter, "Whatshername" in her arms.  They had several ideas for names, but wanted to wait until they met their new bundle of joy to decide if any of their planned names even fit.

"God, she's..." Grace gasped, touching Joan's supportive hand.

"I know," Joan smiled at her.

"Joan, would you think I was nuts if I said I wanna have the next one?"

"Really?"

Grace looked her in the eye and tears rose for both of them.  "Yeah, I kinda think so."

"I'm... always amazed by you.  And proud of you..."

Grace gave her a one-armed hug.  "Thanks."

"Go get your family.  Adam and Lizzie and I will be waiting out front by the car."

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#2 12 Sep 09 :: 23:47

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Re: Whatshername - A Future Butterflies fic by Sisterdebmac

It's sweet, but I have some constructive criticism: I found it really difficult to get into. I had to re-read the beginning after while because you don't know who says what at first. If that was done on purpose, I have to say it confused me.

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#3 12 Sep 09 :: 23:52

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

You wanna take a pass at fixing it?  You can go in and edit it to make it clearer if you want.

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#4 13 Sep 09 :: 00:11

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

I might, but not tonight. I'm gonna be busy tomorrow too, so maybe I'll take a look during the week. Plus I've promised beta-reading Bree's piece and the girl who e-mailed us about the fanfics also asked me to look at the Adam fic she's currently writing.

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#5 13 Sep 09 :: 08:11

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette

Good fanfic, Deb. Very cute.  smile

I met Marilyn Manson/Twiggy Ramirez 10/25/12! & Twiggy 2/9/14
Mel.jpg 2ylsbih.jpg
I met Otep and One Eyed Doll 8/30/12, Kathleen Hanna 10/30/11 Lacuna Coil 4.24 mars 9.27 miw 11.6

#6 13 Sep 09 :: 10:42

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

Good one! big_smile A little confusing in the beginning but I quickly picked up on it.

joa219crysig.jpg

#7 13 Sep 09 :: 11:56

Warbee
Unchallenged

Its very cute. I really like the fan fics which appear to just be a mundane event but it just shows so much character. Its beautiful Deb smile

-- Kate

"I will mix my tongue with strings and drums, and give my soul away " --
KissChasy

Board footer