Website

New Adam & Joan Fic - Drive, She Said

Drive, She Said
by Sisterdebmac & Carol

--..__..--==--..__..--==--..__..--

Characters: Adam, Joan & EJ Rove
Rating: PG
Genre: Het
Summary: Adam & Joan. Their daughter. Her driver's license. And a road trip to see a movie...?
Character Age: 16 and 40-ish
Joaniverse: (Possible) Future Butterflies
Author's Note: This was written on a whim for TeeJay's Alphabet Soup Challenge, but then she wrote a great F is for Frustrated her ownself.  LOL!  So we thought we'd share this with you guys separately.

"Aw, come on Dad! This is so not fair. I got my driver's license. I'm legal now. You said when I got my license, I could take the old Forrester anytime I needed it."

"I meant to school, maybe to the mall if you really have to go there. I did not say you could drive all the way to Baltimore to see some stupid movie they don't even have the decency to play here in Arcadia."

"It's not stupid. How can you call it stupid when you haven't even seen it?"

"Honey, another Miley Cyrus romantic comedy? How many times can the woman fall on her face and still get a laugh? She's been doing that same shtick since she was a teenager."

Hand on her hip, glowering at him over the top of her nose, Adam's daughter was the spitting imagine of her mother at sixteen, except for the shorter, redder hair. "You know I'm not going to see it because of her."

"Sorry, sorry. I know it's got that actor guy in it that you love so much."

She rolled her eyes at him, but he could see the pink coloring her cheeks. He enjoyed teasing her about her actor crush. It was the only really teenagery thing about her. She could be so serious, so... almost frighteningly intelligent. She had the analytical mind of her maternal grandfather. He was just glad she had a bit of his artistic bent, which was also reinforced by her maternal grandmother. From her own mother, she got most everything else. Something that both pleased him, and troubled him.

"Sweetie, I know you really want to go. I know it means a lot to you, but you've had your license for a month, just a month. I'm not comfortable with the idea of you driving 45 miles each way, both at night."

She stamped her foot and turned away from him with a harrumph. "Dad, you always say how mature I am, how responsible."

"You are!"

"But not enough for this?"

"Don't take this the wrong way, Lizzie Jane, but you're not the world's best driver. You're not even the world's best brand new driver."

"You taught me!"

"I taught you to draw. I taught you to paint. I've barely even started to teach you to drive. It takes a lot of practice."

She flashed her license at him. "The state of Maryland says different."

"There's a lot more to being a good safe driver than you've even begun to discover. Did you see the news last week, those two teenage drivers that got killed on the freeway? I can't let you do it. I just can't."

"But Da----"

The front door opened and Joan entered, returning home from work. No sooner had she set foot inside the house than she was hit with the braying voices of her family.

"Mo-oooooommmm!"

"Jane..."

Followed by the garbled babble of two people who both wanted her immediate back-up, obviously. "Whoa-whoa-whoa! Both of you. Let me get inside." She passed between them, unbuttoning her jacket and dropping her bag on the coffee table.

She took a deep breath and turned around to face them. "One at a time. Lizzie?"

"I wanna borrow the Forrester to go to Baltimore next weekend with my friends to see a movie."

Adam just nodded and crossed his arms as if it should be plainly obvious why that idea was insane.

"What movie?" Joan asked.

"What?" Adam asked incredulously. "What difference does that make?"

Joan raised an eyebrow at him as if to say, I was not talking to you, and turned her face toward her daughter.

"The movie," EJ said.

"Oh," her mother smiled as if she totally got it. "'The' movie." She took off her coat and hung it on the coat rack by the door. "Remind me again what 'the movie' is this month."

"Mo-oooom! It's the movie I've been waiting for for like 2 years."

Joan looked puzzled.

"Riot Grrrls," Adam said as if she really should know this stuff.

"That thing where Miley Cyrus plays the aging punk rocker?"

"It's not about her!"

"Kurt James is in it," Adam chimed in again with the pertinent information.

"Ohhhhhhhh," Joan nodded, smiling sideways at her daughter and her actor crush.

"Now do you get it?" EJ asked, exasperated.

"Of course I do, Honey," she touched the slightly blushed cheek of her girl and headed toward the stairs to change her clothes.

"Great! Then I can go?"

"You can go."

"Yes!" EJ raised her fists in triumph.

"But you're not driving." Joan started up the stairs but only got two steps up.

"What?"

"No way are you driving all the way to Baltimore, Elizabeth Jane. No way."

"Yes!" Adam said, only half jokingly and held up his hand for a high five. Joan cheerfully slapped his palm.

"Damn!"

"Elizabeth Jane!" both her parents said.

"Sorry. But it's not fair. You guys both know how long I've waited for this movie and my friends were counting on me to find a way to get us there."

Joan came back down the steps. She put her hands on her daughter's shoulders. "How many friends are we talking about?"

"Just two."

"Maybe all is not lost. Your dad and I haven't had a date night in ages." She looked at Adam, he only shrugged.

"So?"

"So what if we drove you and your friends to the theater, and we can find something fun for us to do for a couple of hours." When she looked back at her husband he was smiling and had that naughty look in his eye that she loved so much. She returned it. "That way, nobody has to be frustrated."

"Ah, ugh, you guys driving us?"

Joan's hands fell to her sides. "I guess you don't really want to go." She started back up the stairs again.

"Wait," EJ said, catching her hand and holding onto it, gently swinging it back and forth a little. "I guess we can live with that. As long as we get to see the movie. That's what matters. Thanks, Mom."

Joan kissed her on the side of her head and clutched her hand to her heart for a second.

"I gotta go call my girls!" EJ said with a tiny squeal as she slipped past Joan and bounded up the stairs to her room.

Once she was out of sight, Adam approached his wife where she stood on the second stair. He slipped his arms around her legs. "Sooo, date night, huh? Sweet. What'd you have in mind?"

"Give me time, I'll come up with something," she said, stroking his cheek with a fingernail, mischievously. She leaned down to kiss him.

"I know you will," he sighed contentedly.

"You know what?"

"What?"

"You should let her drive one way."

"What? Why?"

"So she gets more practice how to drive in the dark. So you won't go ballistic every time she asks you if she can take the car."

"I don't know, Jane..."

She took the two steps back down, so that she was level with her husband. "Think back some, oh, 25 years. Did your dad ever forbid you to take the truck?"

"Yeah, lots of times."

"And what did you do? You know, I vaguely remember a 120-mile drive up to Huntington for a concert."

He looked slightly sheepish. "I just took the car and lied to my dad."

"There you have it. Would you rather teach your daughter to drive safely or would you prefer she secretly steals the car and drives anyway?"

He sighed. "I think you have a point."

She smiled at him. "Don't I always?"

He seemed to mull it over for another second, then he smiled. "Hmmm, OK. As long as we're in the car with her, I guess I won't be so terrified."

"Good."

"And as long as I still get my date," he grinned.

"Oh, you will. You might even get lucky."

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#2 20 Jun 09 :: 12:37

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

Re: New Adam & Joan Fic - Drive, She Said

Aww. Lovely! big_smile

joa219crysig.jpg

#3 20 Jun 09 :: 13:40

magicalturkey
Website

I love how like Joan EJ is.  She'll drive Adam crazy tongue

LifeSucks.jpg

#4 20 Jun 09 :: 19:57

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Yeah, she'll drive him crazy, but he's Mr. Dad and completely adores her.  And she's a total daddy's girl, just like her mom.   tongue

We have another one in the works where EJ is only 2.  big_smile

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#5 21 Jun 09 :: 07:12

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette

Awesome fanfic! I love the idea of Adam and Joan having a daughter.  big_smile

I met Marilyn Manson/Twiggy Ramirez 10/25/12! & Twiggy 2/9/14
Mel.jpg 2ylsbih.jpg
I met Otep and One Eyed Doll 8/30/12, Kathleen Hanna 10/30/11 Lacuna Coil 4.24 mars 9.27 miw 11.6

#6 04 May 10 :: 00:30

fangirl1891

I love stories where joan and adam have a daughter.

Joan - I didn't take back my photos from the yearbook. I got fired. I'm not a photographer or an artist like Iris. I'm not a literary editor or...  A science geek or anything. I'm-- I mean, I tried to be, but I'm not. I'm really just... digging around in the garbage trying to... find something that matters.

Adam - That's what I love about you, Jane.

#7 04 May 10 :: 01:00

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

In "Valentine", EJ is a little over 2.  I want to write more...

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#8 04 May 10 :: 02:36

fangirl1891

awseome I shall read.

Joan - I didn't take back my photos from the yearbook. I got fired. I'm not a photographer or an artist like Iris. I'm not a literary editor or...  A science geek or anything. I'm-- I mean, I tried to be, but I'm not. I'm really just... digging around in the garbage trying to... find something that matters.

Adam - That's what I love about you, Jane.

Board footer