#1 19 May 10 :: 22:42

melissacoustic

"NO BIG DEAL" trailer.....

Anyone have any details on this movie/show that Chris made with his friends?

Watch the trailer at youtube --------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqYk1GVOfOU]

Thanks smile

Last edited by melissacoustic (19 May 10 :: 22:43)

#2 19 May 10 :: 23:29

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Re: "NO BIG DEAL" trailer.....

You stumped me on that one, Melissa.  I'll have to check the clip when I get home.  We can't stream at work.  I'll get back to you...

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#3 19 May 10 :: 23:46

melissacoustic

No prob. I found it a while ago. I figured I'd wait it out and see what came of it, but I haven't heard anything. So I decided to join the board and ask you guys smile

#4 19 May 10 :: 23:56

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

It looks like the show Chris talked about to us in our interview in 2008. The one they tried to sell that no one wanted to buy. If that's the one, I don't think it's going anywhere. Sadly. sad Nice find, though!

I'm pretty sure it's this:

Deb: Well, we kind of already talked about the fact that you're working on the little TV Show that you guys did with Aaron.

Chris: Yep.

Deb: Can you tell us just a little bit about that?

Chris: Yeah, so that thing we're calling it right now... I mean it's really pointless in giving it a title just because if it were to actually get made, we would have no say in getting the title done, the studio does all that. But, uh, we're calling it Done At 21. And it's basically me, Aaron Himelstein, Andrew McFarlane and A.J. Trauth. And the four of us are these um... I was once a famous child actor. And we were all like, you know, anywhere from 12-15. A.J. was a famous musician, and an actor. And Aaron was a famous writer/director with like the biggest movie at Sundance at like 14 years old. And then, uh, Andrew McFarlane plays a guy whose dad is this super rich, famous actor that's won like all these Academy awards. His joke is like... Oh yeah, so the idea is that in the pilot, Aaron left for six months, all of us are totally unsuccessful. I'm doing breakfast cereal commercials, getting drunk before an audition—because I'm playing an alcoholic character—to read for Oliver Stone. And I don't get the part. Actually, Zac Efron gets the part.

(Laughter)

Chris: Yeah, so I see him walk out of the audition room—it's not actually him, it's, uh, it's just another friend of ours. You don't ever see his face. And I don't get the part, so by the end of the pilot everybody fails in some way or another. And Andrew McFarlane, he calls his dad to try to fund this movie that Aaron Himelstein wrote for me to star in, and he spent six months writing this and if it doesn't go, he's gonna go home and give it all up. And I'm sort of at a point where I'm gonna give up my career, and A.J.'s at a point where his music career's just going nowhere and, you know, his girlfriend breaks up with him. And, you know, it's just like you're a loser and you're struggling and I'm sick of it and I can't take it anymore. And then Andrew, he hasn't talked to his dad in forever, 'cause his dad's always busy doing something. So he calls up his dad to see if he might wanna finance this movie that Aaron wrote for me to star in and A.J. to compose the music for and produce. And the joke is, you know, we're like, "Dude, you should call your dad." And he's like, "No, no, no, I haven't talked to him in forever... I wouldn't even know where to find him." A.J. goes, "Well, I read in Variety that he's in Jamaica with Halle Berry."

(Laughter)

Chris: And so when he calls his dad later on in the show, he picks up the phone and he's like, "Hey Dad, I wanted to... Wait, who is this? Hello? Who is this?" And he goes, "Oh, hi, Halle." And he's like talking to her for a second and he goes, "I loved you in Swordfish, bye!"

(Laughter)

Chris: So the point is that everybody kind of goes through their personal kind of disappointment and failure. I don't get the part in the Oliver Stone movie, um, Zac Efron does. Aaron Himelstein, his agent convinces him to offer my part to Penn Badgley, who's actually in it. And Penn says no, so he sort of fails. And also our friendship—you know, we get in a little fight over it. And then A.J.'s girlfriend breaks up with him and he's just struggling. And then, uh, the four us decide that we wanna make a movie. We're like, you know what? We've gotta make this movie. No matter what. And so the idea of that was kind of like why we made the show. You know all these movies are falling apart that we're all trying to do, you know. And it's hard to get a job now because the economy's so bad. And the business is sort of failing and folding in on itself. So we were like, you know, dude, let's just make a TV show. You know what? Screw it, let's just make it. So that was kind of the point of doing the show, and it's also, you know, the actual show, so that's what it's about with these four characters.

Deb: Great. So if you sell it, you're ready to go back to TV, huh?

Chris: Yeah. You know, well, that's what I figured. I was like well, if I'm gonna do a TV show, I'd have to be creating, writing producing and starring in it. And uh, that would be just awesome.

Deb: Love that idea.

Chris: Yeah, yeah, it'd be really cool, and um, it'd be really exciting. And it's also like three of my closest friends in the entire world. So for like all four of us to be able to hang out and have a full time job and really work and be able to... you know we're gonna put—we came up with all these different characters for all of our friends, so like Sean's gonna play—uh, you know, I mean, I'm sure these'll all be fine-tuned and figured out if and when the show actually goes—but he's gonna play my actual brother, who I never tell my friends about. Like, "Wait, you've had a brother? We've known you for ten years, you never—" And like eventually I admit, I'm like, "It's because he's a better actor than me. He books everything." And what happens is, we start getting similar in age so we have to start auditioning against each other. And my character is like, this... he's really overwhelming, you know like he's really pushy and loud and crazy. And so, um, I get like super-competitive with Sean. Like I can't, like, you know, I can't see him at auditions. I try to make him late on purpose... And then another character, is my good friend, Paul Dano came up with a character that he wants to play where he's, uh, this actor that I've known since I was a kid and he comes in from New York to visit me and he's got an audition to go on, so he shows up. And you know, my character so far is like this method actor, who goes in in-character, that's why he gets drunk for the audition. And so, uh, the idea is that we both have the same audition. And he's staying with me, but it's to play like an Irish handicapped guy, who has a speech impediment.

Tina: Oh no.

(Laughter)

Chris: And has to be in a wheelchair, so both of us are playing this character simultaneously.

(Laughter continues)

Chris: So he's hanging out at my apartment, and we're both like (speaks in a funny voice), "Thank you very much. Yes, I appreciate it. Can I have a cuuu-cuuu-cuuup of coffee please. A cuu-cuu-cuu-cuu-cup of coffee." And we're both doing it at the same time. And we have to go to the audition together because they're like a half hour apart from each other. And neither one of us will drop the act."

(Laughter)

Chris: We're in competition with each other. So we're like trying to outdo each other as we're going. But the point is I don't know if we'll actually do that or not. It'd be great, but, uh, the point is that we could really just put our friends in it. And it was great. Paul was like, "I got an idea." And the idea is that if we had a TV show right now we could be writing that, doing that, filming it, so...

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#5 20 May 10 :: 00:10

melissacoustic

Ah yes, that's exactly the one. Damn it... I'd really love to see that get made!! Thanks for the info, TeeJay. The four main characters are Chris, Aaron, AJ and Andrew. Penn has a cameo as well as John Robinson and Leah Pipes. Seems like it would have been a really great show!

#6 20 May 10 :: 00:19

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Yep, it sure has potential. But I guess that's the way it goes in Hollywood. The good things don't get made or don't stay and the crappy stuff often does.

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#7 20 May 10 :: 01:24

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

So I guess what we just saw was basically the demo reel for the sitcom.  Well, that's great.  I'm glad we got to see at least that much.  Because someone once promised us a DVD copy of the pilot ep.  But we never did get it.  Thanks for sharing that with us, Melissa.  Because otherwise, we probably never would've gotten to see it.  It's a shame the concept didn't sell.  It would've been pretty good, I bet.

For the record, Done At 21 is a much better title because it's specific and makes you wonder what the show's about.  No Big Deal is just flat out generic.

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#8 20 May 10 :: 01:49

melissacoustic

You are more than welcome, *insert your name here* LOL. I'm new here, so I don't really know anyone. But hey, I shared the trailer, so I get extra kudos, right? wink Anyways, yes I like the title, "Done At 21" better as well. It really is a shame it didn't sell, because the group of actors in it are super talented people. Would be great to see them all in the same show. You were promised a dvd of the pilot episode? Like I said, I'm new around here, so I don't know your history, hehe.

#9 20 May 10 :: 01:52

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

I'm Deb.  One of the three creator/webmasters of the site. The others are TeeJay & Samsy.  Just go to the front page, go to About Chris, Meeting Chris, if you want to learn a little more about us, the site, and our encounters with him.  So I guess you're not THE Melissa, then.  LOL!  We definitely appreciate the share.  And welcome to the board.  Hope we see a lot of you around here. smile

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#10 20 May 10 :: 01:55

melissacoustic

Oh okay, awesome. You have a fabulous site. Seriously, you guys rock. It's great to meet you guys... and damn, I'm not THE Melissa?? I almost felt special! How do I become THE Melissa? Ha wink

#11 20 May 10 :: 02:02

melissacoustic

Aww, I just read your story about meeting him. HOW AWESOME IS HE!?!? That's a super cool story. So happy for you guys!

#12 20 May 10 :: 02:07

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

LOL! Thanks, we appreciate that.  THE Melissa is the reason we're here, more or less.  There was a Chris website run by a girl named Melissa called Versatile back when Joan of Arcadia was still on TV.  The three of us met on her message board and became friends.  When she finally let her site go, we decided to start our own because we just couldn't imagine Chris having no web presence.  From there, it's been a rather magical journey.  Our trip to LA in October of 2008 where we had our own mini-JoA reunion has been the high point so far.  Though I'd say getting to interview Amber Tamblyn last year was HUGE for me, personally.  The last four years since we started this adventure have just been a blast.  We've met so many wonderful people.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  smile

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#13 20 May 10 :: 17:56

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

I find it kind of shocking that this has been on youtube since October 16th 2009 and noone of us found it earlier. yikes

I hugged the Seeker!

#14 20 May 10 :: 18:57

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

How could we?  Unless we thought to search "A.J. Rauth".  And it never would've occurred to me to even imagine it was on YouTube.

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#15 20 May 10 :: 20:32

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Yeah, I know that. It just kind of irked me. It's like I know there is so much of Chris's work that I know of it exists but we're never going to see it. Like we know that they shot the hill scene in Alpha Dog. Or these short films he used to make. And they're hidden somewhere and some people who really want to see them will never get to see them. Isn't that unfair?
I'm sorry. I was just thinking about this a lot lately. This will probably stop soon.

I hugged the Seeker!

#16 20 May 10 :: 21:51

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

I hate it too.  More than you'll ever know.  :fedup:

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#17 20 May 10 :: 22:47

justme
Supreme Dorquette

What a fun clip!  Thanks for sharing, Melissa!  And welcome to the boards. smile

#18 21 May 10 :: 01:51

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

Thanks for sharing, Melissa. Welcome to the forum!

#19 23 May 10 :: 00:21

EOcean214
Dorquette

Thanks for sharing, way fun to watch! Maybe this can give us a little hope since its been posted on youtube? Who knows!

Lindsey

#20 23 May 10 :: 02:59

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Well, we know for sure that they weren't able to sell it to TV.  But it'd be awesome if they put the whole 22 minute show online.  There was some talk of doing it as a web series, but it may be too late for that at this point.  I think they originally shot this in summer 2008.  But indeed, who knows what these guys have up their sleeves?  They're very creative.  smile

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#21 23 May 10 :: 17:39

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

*fans self* oh wow. That was so cool. I wish it had been made. so sad that it didn't. They should try to turn that pilot into a short movie or something if its already filmed. I'd love to see it. Chris looked so good in it, my heart is going mad. lol

joa219crysig.jpg

#22 21 Jun 10 :: 17:10

RhymesWithBlinvisible

I just saw the trailer for No Big Deal and it looked like it would have been such a funny show. How were they not able to sell it with that demo reel? I hope that some day, we'll be able to see the whole episode. It was just too funny.

#23 21 Jun 10 :: 17:18

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Yeah, it would've been so cool if they'd sold it.  Can you imagine him back on TV weekly?  Wow.

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#24 04 Jul 10 :: 11:53

Susanna
Cute lil' horndog

that looked like it had potential to be a pretty cool little show. What a bugger it didn't make it, besides the fact that it would have been awesome to get regular Chris, it actually looked good.

Would be very keen to see him on a tv show as main cast again.

tesig1.jpg

#25 02 Nov 12 :: 21:15

CappuGirl
Dorquette
Website

I just started watching the pilot episode for Men at work. it starts with a break up that somehow made me think "that's a total rip off from the No big deal trailer!" I had to look up this trailer again to see what made me think that, but the break up scene in this trailer is much shorter and not much alike. other than it happening in the bedroom. it was weird, I could have sworn I'd seen that whole scene somewhere before. well anyways, I loved to see the trailer again. so pissed it didn't happen.

joa219crysig.jpg

Board footer