#351 14 Mar 08 :: 18:31

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Re: Road Trippin'

I was faster, Deb! tongue

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."
-- David Sandström, ReGenesis

#352 14 Mar 08 :: 18:32

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Hey, I tried.  big_smile

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#353 14 Mar 08 :: 18:33

Donna

Very cool! Molecular biology holy crap. I didn't know people like that actually exist and were phenomenally cool!

#354 14 Mar 08 :: 18:38

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

LOL. Okay, so I'm in the "pocket protector geek" demographic? Mrs. Luke Girardi? I know a lot of molecular biologists who are phenomenally cool. tongue And, really, it sounds much more spectacular than it actually is. And, not surprisingly, my job doesn't actually really have anything to do with molecular bio. Of course it helps that you have a basic understanding of how the body works, but that's about it.

-TeeJay

"Sometimes I think the human species is programmed to look at the bright side of every disaster."

#355 14 Mar 08 :: 18:40

Donna

haha I am just teasing Mrs. Luke Girardi. There is nothing wrong with being one smart chick. Power to you.

#356 14 Mar 08 :: 18:42

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Not to burst your bubble, but you can actually get a Master's Degree without being smart. Of course it helps tremendously if you are. wink

-TeeJay

#357 14 Mar 08 :: 18:45

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

AND, you can actually be smart without getting a Master's Degree.  See what I did there?  Turned that around... Eh, never mind.  tongue

Deb,
Your Fairy Chrismother.  Keeper of Keith's leather wristband.  Keeper of Pocket Anomalies.  WWAJD?
REPORT BROKEN LINKS info@chris-marquette.com  http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho … ef=profile 
Wanna talk to President Obama?  http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/  Close Gitmo/Open Cuba.
Clueless.jpg

#358 14 Mar 08 :: 18:49

Donna

Oh I know, I wish I would have continued school and got mine right after my BA but...oh well maybe someday i'll go back but I think I would like to study something different. My BA is in psychology, but after working at a suicide hotlike I realized I didn't really like listening to people complain (none of the calls were ever "serious" just a lot of sad lonely people). I tend to internalize their pain and can't shake it off. So it wasn't really a good career fit. That's several thousand dollars I won't see again.:doh:

#359 14 Mar 08 :: 18:54

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Sisterdebmac wrote:

AND, you can actually be smart without getting a Master's Degree.  See what I did there?  Turned that around... Eh, never mind.  tongue

WHAT? I never knew! Why did I spend six years of my life going through university hell? tongue big_smile At least it was before they started introducing general university fees in Germany. We barely had to pay 200 EUR each semester, and that included a fee public transport ticket for the whole Ruhrgebiet area.

-TeeJay

#360 14 Mar 08 :: 19:37

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

You are going to Budapest? Poor girl. I didn't like that city at all. :doh:
Oh, by the way, my trip to Weimar was great. I have been there once, like ten years ago. I have a photo of me standing in front of the Goethe/Schiller memorial and when we were there last weekend we did new photos. I am going to post them as soon as I get them. smile

I hugged the Seeker!

#361 14 Mar 08 :: 19:45

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

I don't think I'm going to see a lot of Budapest. I'm probably gonna be there for just a weekend, and most of it will be spent in meeting rooms or my hotel room.

-TeeJay

#362 14 Mar 08 :: 19:49

domesticelefant
Dorquette vom Dienst
Website

Then be glad. This city is ugly. roll

I hugged the Seeker!

#363 15 Mar 08 :: 00:45

shoothoops22

I'm going to jamiaca on monday.

The G song haha

#364 15 Mar 08 :: 00:46

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

Wicked!  You do get to go to some cool places, Hoops.

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#365 15 Mar 08 :: 01:19

notsofairytale

I agree, Deb, SD is very beautiful and just a spectacular place. There's times I did wish I lived/went to school there, but I'm really content and I can't ask for more wink Silly question, but... do you guys have a lot of beaches in GA?

AND WOW, TEEJAY! You have been everywhere!! If you don't mind me asking, did your work pay for the expenses?

Last edited by notsofairytale (15 Mar 08 :: 01:20)

Joan: "Wow. I always thought you'd hate me if I was a cheerleader."
Adam: "No way. Why?
Joan: "Because we're subdefectives and it'd be like deserting the army or something."
Adam: "Oh, no. I don't care if you're a cheerleader, subdefective, or whatever. I just like hanging out with you because.. you're Jane."

#366 15 Mar 08 :: 01:27

TheCentralScrutinizer
La Dorquetta de Prima
Website

We only basically have beach in one small stretch around the Savannah area.  We like to go to a place down there called Tybee Island.  It ain't fancy.  Parts of it have undergone some gentrification, but it's still quaint.  The water's not terribly pretty though.  Nor are the "natural" beaches.  They've added some imported white sand to the fancy coastal hotel area.

Most people though would rather go up to the Carolinas to go to the beach though, or down to Florida.

Deb,
Clueless.jpg

#367 15 Mar 08 :: 01:38

shoothoops22

My monm went to bermuda a couple weeks ago and I went with her. Ive been a lot of places and I travel a lot.

The G song haha

#368 15 Mar 08 :: 03:11

irina

i don't know why you guys did not like budapest. i was there a couple of times and i found that city to be beautiful.

guys, today i am in munich smile i was on my way to goteburg to see the world figure skating championships . but i have a friend who is doing her masters in munich ( actually in a place very close to munich called garhing - hope i spelled that right, but i think i didn't ). and she said to me why don't i get a plane ticket that has a stop in munich so i did. nice city!!! not spectacular, but clean and nice!!!! big_smile

#369 15 Mar 08 :: 03:17

notsofairytale

I think I've heard of Tybee Island- I forget which book mentioned it, though. Thanks for replying.

Where are you from, Irina?

Joan: "Wow. I always thought you'd hate me if I was a cheerleader."
Adam: "No way. Why?
Joan: "Because we're subdefectives and it'd be like deserting the army or something."
Adam: "Oh, no. I don't care if you're a cheerleader, subdefective, or whatever. I just like hanging out with you because.. you're Jane."

#370 15 Mar 08 :: 03:20

irina

i am from romania , a city called constanta.

tina, any job that involves travelling sounds very cool to me!!!:)

Last edited by irina (15 Mar 08 :: 03:28)

#371 15 Mar 08 :: 06:47

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan
Supreme Dorquette
Website

TeeJay wrote:

You guys asked where we've all traveled. Of course for me in the heart of Europe it's easier to go to different countries. Let me see if I can give you a list of all the countries I've been to:

The Netherlands
Belgium
The UK (England & Scotland)
Ireland
France
Switzerland
Austria
Italy
Poland
Romania
The Ukraine
Greece (I was only 4 and don't remember anything)
Sweden
The US
Australia
New Zealand

I really want to go to Ireland, Romania, and Sweden. What are they like?

#372 15 Mar 08 :: 11:02

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

notsofairytale wrote:

AND WOW, TEEJAY! You have been everywhere!! If you don't mind me asking, did your work pay for the expenses?

I'm not sure what you mean with expenses. The company pays for the flights and the accomodation (usually a hotel). I also get a fixed amount of money per day for food (amount depends on the country I'm in), so it's up to me if I eat cheap or fancy. The company also pays for travel inside the country, but only the stuff that has to do with the business part of the journey. So if I have to take a train to the hospital where I need to check the documentation, they'll pay for the train ticket. If I'm done with my work and wanna go into town that night to go out, I'll have to pay for the taxi into town myself. And you usually try to work with the "gray areas" as much to your own advantage as you can. wink

irina wrote:

i don't know why you guys did not like budapest. i was there a couple of times and i found that city to be beautiful.

Hey, so far only Anne said she didn't like it. I have never been there, so I'll reserve judgement until I've seen it myself. What I can tell you from experience is that I thought Bucharest was absolutely awful. But it might be that I've just been to the wrong places. Also, of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I did like Timisoara, though. And I've love to see Constanta. We have a hospital there in our new clinical trial at work, so if I really want to, I can schedule a trip there some time.

It's awesome that you got to go to Munich, Irina. I think you're talking about Garching, I have never heard of a place called Garhing. How did you like Munich? I've been there a few times. Not my all time favorite city, but it's really nice. And expensive. Probably the most expensive city in Germany...

BiggestChrisMarquetteFan wrote:

I really want to go to Ireland, Romania, and Sweden. What are they like?

Let me start with Romania and Sweden. Both of those, I've only seen when I was there on business trips, so I haven't seen much. In Romania I've only been to Bucharest and Timisoara, but I haven't seem much of either city. Like I said, I didn't like Bucharest at all. What I've seen of Timisoara was much nicer. But overall, I think it's okay to say that Romania is still struggling with building up their infrastructure after all those years of communist governance. When I was there, I found that you could really see it when you ventured a little outside of the cities and went into the suburbs. The standards of living really differed a lot from what we in Germany are used to. I would love to go back there to see more of the country some time, though. I hear it has very beautiful places, some of them undoubtedly very much untouched.

Of Sweden I have only seen Stockholm and Uppsala. Stockholm is really beautiful, I'd love to go back and take a closer look. I'd also love to see more of the countryside. Skandinavia is definitely on my list of areas to go back to some time.

Ireland is stunning, but I love Scotland more. Dublin's a great city, I spent 5 days there last year. I absolutely loved the two weeks I spent in the Kilkenny area, and I'd love to go back and see more of Ireland too some day.

When you ask "what are they like", I could probably write pages. Is there anything specific you wanna know? I guess it also depends on what you're looking at a country for. Do you wanna go to see the landscape? Do you wanna see lots of famous sights? Do you wanna go to have fun with other people and go out a lot? Do you wanna go to spend time at the beach or at a pool somewhere or would you rather go hiking and explore everything on foot? Would you like to hire a car and drive around? Every country is different and whether you find it an ideal vacation spot very much depends on what you're expecting your vacation to be like. smile

-TeeJay

#373 15 Mar 08 :: 14:14

shoothoops22

I have been to france 3 times. I have been to spain about 5, I have been to Italy twice. And Ive been to japan,china, mexico,brazil and all of the united states. Ive been to almost all of the carribean islands except for cuba.

Last edited by shoothoops22 (15 Mar 08 :: 14:16)

The G song haha

#374 15 Mar 08 :: 15:23

TeeJay
Admin Dorquette™

Oh wow, you're well traveled too. What place did you like best?

-TeeJay

#375 15 Mar 08 :: 18:18

shoothoops22

My favorite place that I've been to is probably France. I liked going to Paris. I went to the eiffle tower. I thought that was fun

Last edited by shoothoops22 (15 Mar 08 :: 18:20)

The G song haha

Board footer